Archinect
anchor

Building Performance Analysis Software

robhaw

I am currently undertaking a technical MSc with focus on integrated building design. I am interested in learning a professional-level building performance analysis programme. I have heard of the following:

-IES Virtual Environment 

-Sefaira

We are being taught Sefaira in university, but my opinion is that it is quite a simplified programme and I would like to learn one which is more comprehensive and professional. 

Which software do you currently use in professional practice for assessing building performance? Which software is considered cutting edge technology used by firms like Foster and Partners? 

Ideally, I am looking for a programme that can integrate well with Revit.

I would be very interest to get recommendations from people with experience in A+E and multidisciplinary firms.

Apr 15, 20 5:00 pm
archanonymous

Usually my MEP, Enclosure, or Sustainability consultant runs the analysis, and usually their models are numerical and pretty darn simple. Sefaira seems common among a certain subset of firms, but not the one's I have worked at. 

When we do early site analysis in house, lots of Honeybee and Ladybug (plugins for Rhino).

If you look at current PassiveHaus and other more progressive standards than the IECC, you'll see that modeling is discouraged and best-practice solutions, vernacular precedents, and detailing air-tightness are being emphasized as the best ways of achieving a sustainable building. 

Apr 15, 20 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

Hi archanonymous, thank you for the reply. What kind of buildings are you working on? Also, could you elaborate on why modelling is discouraged at these standards? Is this relevant to the scale of the project?

Apr 15, 20 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm working on academic, cultural, office, etc... We don't do alot of in house modeling. We do design almost exclusively leed silver+ or passivehaus, green building, etc projects. Our consultants do model, but usually not iteratively. Maybe 2-3 times in a major project. We use best practices and high performance assemblies and it works out.

Apr 15, 20 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: