Archinect
anchor

Multiple State License

I'm a licensed architect in multiple states but have really focused my work on just one state for the foreseeable future. 

I am hesitant about not renewing my other state licenses, but at the same time, I wonder if it's worth renewing them considering the costs. There's always a chance that an opportunity could spring up in one of the other states too...

Anyone else in the same/similar situation? To renew, or not to renew?

Mar 10, 20 2:26 pm
Gloominati

I've been in this situation and would recommend taking it on a state-by-state basis. Consider the likelihood of whether you might want to have a license in that state again at anytime in the future, and then make sure you understand that state's rules and procedures for reactivating an expired license.

Some states make it easy and inexpensive to shelve your license indefinitely but have the option to reinstate it. Some of them charge no dues at all while your license is intentionally shelved, while others charge reduced dues.

But there are other states that will charge you all the years of back fees if you let your license expire and then need that license again for something.  There are also some that will treat you like a first-time applicant if you have let your license in that state lapse for 3 years or more, which can make you subject to complying with any rules that have changed in their licensing requirements, and also means you have to send your NCARB records and school transcripts and such all over again.

Mar 10, 20 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

State PDHs requirements also part of the consideration for maintaining and reinstating.

Getting state approved PDHs may be hard if you live elsewhere and to reinstate a lapsed license you may also have to have X number of PDH credits (up to a max cap) in some jurisdictions.

Mar 11, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

That requirement usually only poses a problem for someone who lets all their licenses lapse - i.e. someone who isn't practicing architecture anywhere, so has no continuing ed units for some period of time. But it doesn't sound as though the OP was planning to let his licenses lapse everywhere. As long as he's keeping at least one license in any state with continuing ed requirements, and/or he's keeping an AIA membership, he's likely to have enough continuing ed units to fulfill most any state's requirements.

Mar 11, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I'm licensed in 27 states but only active in 13. If we do get a project in a particular state and I'm not active it has never been a problem getting it activated. Never did I have to retake test or some crazy shit like deck designer Balkins mentions. One time I ran into where I had to pay all the years that I was not active in order to be active again. So, long story short, no reason to pay if you are not actively practicing in that particular state. 

Mar 12, 20 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: