Archinect
anchor

Architecture of the Holy Land

kareemsabri

I have done quite a bit of research regarding the architecture design of Israeli/Palestinian homes, but I can’t find out what this one style is: has this triangular pattern on the roof and it’s never mentioned or illustrated anywhere online except for a few old photos.

It looks to be like some sort of Arab design, but even after research in that field of ancient home architecture nothing came up. Any ideas?

Heres another example (it’s the house dead center in the pic):

If anyone knows the style, please let me know — just trying to satisfy my curiosity!

Thank you

Mar 10, 20 12:55 am
White_Snowman

I looked but I feel like as far as early 1900s Palestinian roof adornments there might not be a name for this. Maybe you could give it a name?

Mar 12, 20 5:25 am  · 
 · 
uggina

Beginning in the 1830s, European powers, including Russia, fought among themselves for influence in the Holy Land. The construction of churches, farmsteads for pilgrims, hospitals and schools was one of the most important means in this struggle. European-built buildings had not only utilitarian, but also political goals - to impress the local population and demonstrate the presence, strength and grandeur of the country that built them. Therefore, European architecture in the Holy Land was different from local architecture. Today, the architecture of buildings has surpassed those times in design. Although not always the quality of the house is very good. By the way, I recently found a good website where real estate advertisements are posted. There are many descriptions, live photos. I often look at different offers to buy apartments in Budapest, and I have made many conclusions about the real estate market.

Mar 12, 20 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Zbig

Those are a mix of open elements and solid brick/stone. They allow air flow to cool the rooftop. Remember that a lot of daily life happened on the rooftop. Having a breeze was essential in the heat.

Mar 12, 20 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: