Archinect
anchor

Should I start practicing architecture or find another field?

bishoyadel

Hello,

I'm a 27 year old architectural engineering graduate, I've not practiced architecture since graduation as I started working in graphic design and sales just to make a living and because I was thinking that architecture was forced on me by my parents. Now that I tried many fields and have not found my purpose I'm thinking of returning to architecture but I feel that I will not succeed in it because my whole heart is not in it. Actually I don't know if my heart is IN anything. I mean I change careers so fast because I suffer from borderline disorder but that's for another rant. Now I left graphic design because I feel that it's meaningless and shallow unlike architecture or for example programming. Can someone help put me in the right direction, I just need a meaningful career.

Note: In my country you become licensed just by graduating, we don't have license exams and so on, so I can work in architecture starting tomorrow, I will just have to learn the software and some concepts and I will have to intern in a company and I will be good to go. I just feel like architecture is complicated and my attention span is so short that I can't succeed in it. I'm really lost and I don't know where to go, please help. Do you have any suggested career path for me that is not as complicated as architecture and not as shallow as graphic design?

Note 2: Sorry if the post was irrational or edgy or whatever. 

Feb 4, 20 11:01 am
Non Sequitur

Architecture can be long, tedious, complicated, and frustrating... and that's on a good day.  It can also not be any of those. You need to know the realities of the profession are in your area and judge if that will work for you long-term.

Also worth saying: Internet forums are not a substitute for therapy.  Seek real professional advice instead of asking anonymous wankers online.

Feb 4, 20 11:12 am  · 
 · 
bishoyadel

I have been in therapy for 2 years, it's just that I wanted to have a fresh perspective look at my problem.

Feb 4, 20 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

from randoms online? yeah, that's not how this works.

Feb 4, 20 11:40 am  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Architecture is a big field. Working at a place that turns out different versions of the same project over and over again is relatively simple. 

Feb 4, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: