Archinect
anchor

[Question] Series of rooms architectural design concept to help creative output?

karimgawish

Hello,

I remember reading once on wikipedia about an architectural design concept where you had a series of rooms each having a specific function that should mirror the way the brain functions & should help a person passing through those rooms have a good creative output in the last room.

[room 1] -> [room 2] -> [room 3] -> [room 4]

I have been trying to remember the name of the architecture design concept and searching for it all day long but I can't remember it.

Please help me remember it.

Thank you

Jan 27, 20 11:06 pm
Non Sequitur

I think it's called bullshit.

Just another woo-filled fengshuay attempt to place arbitrary design into neat little boxes and create "good" design rules.

Jan 27, 20 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
karimgawish

Thank you, that wasn't really helpful, I would have wanted to be the one to judge the merit of the idea if you can guide me to the article

Jan 27, 20 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How do you think a room's design can increase one's creative output? What mechanism(s) do you believe is(are) in play and can you identify how they produce this result?

Jan 27, 20 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
karimgawish

I don't want to debate this man, I don't have really a strong opinion on it for the time being, I just wanted to remember the article, maybe re-reading I can come back for a debate.

Jan 27, 20 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I dunno NS. It's been shown that a space designed with natural light, views to nature, and proper ventilation increase a persons ability to learn, be productive, and promotes creativity.

Jan 29, 20 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I don't think the op here is looking at those basics. Still missing an identifiable mechanism(s) to justify design rules... and I despise any attempt to rationalize design into marketable formulas. My ideal creative space actually does not meet your description for what it's worth.

Jan 29, 20 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I agree with the formula stuff. My idea creative space does meet the requirements I listed. that and a 3' x 7' desk with bumwad and markers. 8-)

Jan 29, 20 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I prefer a small side table, an easel, and a 3'x7' area on the floor to lay things down. Proximity to a liquor cabinet and or cigar humidor is also important. Windows are less important. Blank wall space is better. 8-)

Jan 29, 20 11:14 am  · 
 · 
karimgawish

@Chad Miller, Non Sequitur is right I wasn't searching for the basic concepts but some sort of a design developed by an Architect that has as its core multiple rooms stacked linearly accessible only by passing through each of them. The first room may be for idea incubation, then the more you get through the room, the more the room gets focused, it is like you are walking from (divergent thinking to convergent thinking)

Jan 29, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 
karimgawish

[DELETED]

Jan 27, 20 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

Here is what I think you’re referring to

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maharishi_Vastu_Architecture

Here are some other good looks into psychology/architecture combination

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-10/muom-ctd101719.php

https://www.spacesworks.com/how-office-design-can-increase-productivity/

https://medium.com/s/how-to-design-creative-workspaces/how-to-use-the-psychology-of-space-to-boost-your-creativity-4fe6482ef687

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20170605-the-psychology-behind-your-citys-design

It seems like there’s something to be said about the effect of a space on a person’s mind. Not sure if an open floor plan is going to turn someone into da Vinci but it certainly couldn’t hurt. 

Jan 29, 20 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That MVA stuff is just wacky nonsense superstitious bunk.

Jan 29, 20 5:49 am  · 
 · 
midlander

wow that MVA wikipedia article... i missed the part relevant to the OP question, but this passage is beautiful; I'm all in! The Maharishi Heaven on Earth Development Corp. (MHOED) announced in 1988 that it planned to build 50 "Maharishi Cities of Immortals" across the U.S. and Canada. The individual homes would be built using MVA specifications with non-toxic materials and natural ventilation.[36] Its long-term goal is to "reconstruct the entire world".

Jan 29, 20 9:28 am  · 
 · 
karimgawish

@White_Snowman, thank you very much, it is interesting, however, it isn't what I was searching for, what I am searching for is a design developed by an architect that has as its core multiple rooms stacked linearly accessible only by passing through each of them. The first room may be for idea incubation, then the more you get through the room, the more the room gets focused, it is like you are walking from (divergent thinking to convergent thinking)

Jan 29, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 

Anything designed to “mirror the way the brain works” would be fluid and dynamic as opposed to rigid and sequential.

Jan 29, 20 11:22 am  · 
 · 
karimgawish

Yes, that's the idea since it is supposed to mirror 2 ways the brain works in (divergent thinking, convergent thinking), the rooms are designed this way, the first rooms being fluid and dynamic (discovery-like) and the more you pass through the rooms, the more rooms get rigid (focused without sources of distraction )

Jan 29, 20 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: