Archinect
anchor

Los Angeles based Architecture firms with Vision and Design Leadership

0L0ID

Hi Everyone,
Could you help me put together a list of Los Angeles based Architecture firms that really have a Vision, and Design Leadership? 

I'm working at a firm that has over the last two-three years decided that it doesn't need these things and has either fired or laid off all of its design principals, and we're now just going after design-build partnerships with contractors, where design is really just a matter of arranging precast panels or curtain wall mullions on the facade, and picking some interior finishes. Which is absolutely agonizing for me (I am Designer II here), and other designers - we basically feel orphaned in this place. Anyway, so needless to say, I'm trying to leave. 

So : Firms with Design Leadership and Vision, in LA. Here's what I got so far:
1. Morphosis - undeinable design thesis here. There's design language, a visionary in charge, and yes work is super tough, but for having someone to learn from, I feel like Morphosis is ideal. 
2. Gehry Partners - although I'm not entirely in agrement with Gehry's design aesthetic, but that's beside the point - if he has one thing, that is Vision. So he goes on the list as well. 
3. Maltzan - I can't quite formulate an opinion about this one. It seems the work is a little all over the place, but at least it's interesting, and clearly design-driven - and that's a good sign. 

Please name some others. Do you work for one? or perhaps you've worked for one in the past? Hopefully your firm still exists and is doing well? 

thanks so much!

0l0id

Jan 13, 20 7:37 pm
0L0ID

Sorry, just to be clear - I'm not trying to be a Starchitect, or look down on the technical and PM track guys in my firm. What I want is a to find a place where I could Really learn to do good high quality, world-class design. I'm sure some of you know what I mean..

Jan 13, 20 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so, you name a few obvious offices. I’m sure competition to get into the high design at those places is suuuuuper simple. There are likely 100 other and smaller boutique offices which do design heavy work. Too busy to do a google search?

Jan 13, 20 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Did you intern with any starchitects while in school, or have you worked for any since graduation? If you have more than a couple years of experience and it doesn't already include one or more starchitect(s), the chance of your resume even making it out of the mail room is close to zero.

Jan 13, 20 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

Koning Eizenberg, Clive Wilkinson, Marmol Radziner, Bestor etc etc...all have a niche?

Jan 14, 20 4:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: