Archinect
anchor

Looking to transfer from USA B.Arch to European equivalent

sine_nomine

Hi all,

I’m a current 2nd year at a five year B.Arch program in the United States. I am an in-state resident and have lived in the US my whole life. Although I’ve enjoyed my schooling here I have always wanted to study in Europe, particularly in the Scandinavian region. I understand there are study abroad opportunities for such things, but I am looking for a more permanent settlement in terms of life, career, and education.

My curiosity, and also concern I suppose, regards how international transfers work in terms of equivalency. For instance, at the end of this spring semester I will have completed two of the five years in the US B.Arch program; if I were to apply to complete this degree in some capacity, what kind of programs should I be looking for? Two year masters maybe? My google searches over the last week haven’t been too helpful in answering that question in particular. Would I have to restart my bachelors? Is there an equivalent program I can relatively easily transfer into with the two years I have?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jan 5, 20 3:58 pm
justavisual

In Europe degrees are given based on ECTS (credit hours) regulated across Europe. Years 1-3 are BSc and 4-5 are MSc. Your best bet is to see what a program like TU Delft or somewhere in Copenhagen has as requirements for a BSc and then email the school an ask them when you can apply for an MSc. You generally need to have completed a Bachelors program to apply for a Master. Of course, this means more years in the US than in Europe (3 vs 4/5). Also, living/working in Europe for more than 1 year after graduating from an MSc will require a visa if you are not an EU citizen...and therefore working at a large office who is willing to sponsor you to stay. 

Jan 11, 20 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: