Archinect
anchor

How can I get involved with an Arch firm w/o an Arch degree?

corycozy

I am set to graduate with a degree in Construction Science + Management this May. With the goal of eventually obtaining an M.ARCH, is there a role, title, and/or responsibility within a *true* architectural firm where I could work in the meantime? 

(preferably surrounding the creation and handling of construction documents/specifications)

For clarity, I will graduate with approx. (3) years of general contracting experience split between field and office experience. 

Jan 4, 20 6:51 pm
dmoralesjr

I would think so. Some firms hire people specifically to do Construction Administration. You could probably get hired for that and do well at it. It probably has a lot of overlap with your office experience. It would still be educational for you as well since you will get to see the other side of things.

If you have experience in CAD or BIM, you could probably get hired at a firm that still hires people as technicians / production staff. That would be a good start to learning how to put CD's together and execute designs. Your construction science and field experience would be very valuable here. 

It just might be a little harder for you to find a good opportunity than someone who studied and has experience in architecture specifically. 

Jan 5, 20 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

plenty of design build firms as well, contractors with entire wings of architects you could work under

Jan 6, 20 1:35 pm  · 
1  · 
jcadg

Being a design/build architecture firm ourselves, my best advice would be to come in with the expectation that you will deliver new clientele to the business. It is very difficult to be a new face in the company when you have not proven yourself as viable to the firm, yet expect to be paid a nice salary. I am not trying to be harsh by explaining this, simply honest.

If you can bring in a few nice projects, and head them up as the CA Project Manager, that firm will most likely want to keep you for the long term. That is exactly what we look for when discussing new positions with people in your field, and I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Jan 6, 20 3:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: