Archinect
anchor

Architect License through reciprocity without NCARB certification? MA to NY

hggh

I got my initial architect license in MA around 2014, and I am trying to get a NY license through reciprocity. I didn’t renew my NCARB record since I registered in MA. I understand that it will cost $1100+ to recover and transmit my record to NY if I choose to get licensed in NY through NCARB certification.

My question is that if there is a way around?

I am confused by reading the information on NY’s architect license website(http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/archlic.htm), it says,

"Documentation Required for Licensure or Limited Permit (Based on Approach)

All applicants must submit Form 1 - Application for Licensure (Form 1) and the appropriate fee for licensure and first registration.

The following forms must also be submitted if:

You are licensed in another jurisdiction and meet the endorsement requirements:

• Form 2 - Certification of Professional Education
  • Form 3 - Verification of Out-of-State Licensure, Registration and/or Examination
  • Form 4 - Applicant Experience Record (if an NCARB Council Record will not be submitted)
  • IDP Council Record (if licensed initially on or after 9/1/99)
  • 3 letters of reference, 1 each from 3 currently licensed and registered architects, attesting to the fact that you've been lawfully practicing as an architect for at least 5 of the past 7 years - ONLY if you passed just the Professional Examination in use before 1983. Please make sure that the 3 architects specify this language in their letter."

What is an IDP Council Record? Does it come from NCARB? If so, what is the difference from getting a license through NCARB certification?

I searched the forum, didn’t find any applicable cases. Much appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 2, 20 4:12 pm
Flatfish

The IDP Council Record is your NCARB IDP/AXP experience record (the C in "NCARB" stands for "council").  The problem you will encounter is that NCARB won't release that unless you pay your back NCARB dues (in addition to the fee for transmitting your record).  Also if you're eligible for NCARB certification and never applied for it before, NCARB will make you get certified before they'll release your record. 

Effectively, for someone who is eligible for NCARB certification, there is no difference between NY's endorsement method vs. NCARB certificate method.  The endorsement route in NY exists mainly for people who aren't eligible for NCARB certification (usually because of their education), but who were initially licensed in other states whose requirements meet New York's.

Jan 2, 20 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: