Archinect
anchor

Landing a job with little to no experience?

preussarch

Hey everyone, 

First-time poster here. I'm currently working in preclinical research with a B.S. in Zoology and am looking to change careers. I'm planning to apply to an M. Arch program in 2021 and I need all the experience I can get. Architecture has always been a huge interest of mine and I even took a semester of architecture classes while in college (Drawing 101, intro to architecture with some AutoCAD, and a basic construction materials course) though that was five years ago. I'm an exceptional drawer and design houses on the Sims in my free time after sketching initial designs out on graph paper (seems trivial, I know, but it's an easy way of satisfying my creative itch!). Has anyone else with little to no architectural experience been able to land a job at an architectural firm?  I'm curious how you succeeded in doing so and any and all tips would be appreciated! I'm not expecting I would be allowed into a design position anywhere with the teeny amount of experience I have, but even a secretary-type job just to get my feet wet in the field would be great.

Dec 28, 19 2:38 pm
Non Sequitur

Schools are pumping out fresh arch and tech grads constantly so you have a cubic light-year's worth of competition for entry level jobs.  No-one will give you a spot, even in a junior role, without some sort of useful skill set.  Design is just a small fraction of the skills required in this profession so you really don't have anything special to offer beyond the below-average fresh grad

If you want to get your feet wet, go work with a general contractor... either on the field swinging a hammers or in their office dealing with consultant correspondance.  

Dec 28, 19 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I'd recommend a 2-year Architectural Technology program - it'll teach you things (e.g. CAD & Revit) that you'd likely either have to pick up on your own or not learn at all in your M.Arch program, which will make you more employable down the line. Try and get a Summer internship between years 1 & 2, and every Summer thereafter until you complete your M.Arch - internships will ultimately be more important than your education, but you can't get the first one until you have at least minimal useful skills.

Dec 30, 19 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: