Archinect
anchor

Career Advice

mjaffe

I am very interested in New Urbanism and planned communities; particularly towns, neighborhoods, and cities. I would like to be part of the process of building these communities and implementing well-thought out architecture to make them better. In other words, planning and designing them. Should I become an Urban Planner, a Town Architect, an architect in general, or something else? If you pick one, why? Anyone who has a professional opinion on this topic, I would love to hear your advice.

Also, if I choose Urban Planning what is a suggested undergrad major?

Thank you.

Dec 23, 19 12:38 pm
Non Sequitur

New Urbanisme died like 15years ago.  Just another bad attempt at making rich gated communities.

If you want to work within this space, get your accredited arch degree and go work in an office that does master planning studies.  Then, after several years of real-world experience, run for city mayor or something and use public funds to fulfill your vision.  Hopefully this vision will be informed by real world issues instead of fantasy.

Option 2 is more straight forward.  Buy up large chunks of land and hire a team to design and develop exactly what you think is best.

Let us know how it turns out. 

Dec 23, 19 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

join a planning commission.  seems a low barrier to entry, and they can hold the permit until they get their way.

Dec 23, 19 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Miles are you trying to get a rise out of Rick?

Dec 23, 19 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don’t think it’s Miles... but you never know.

Dec 23, 19 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Not me.

Dec 23, 19 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do you have a stalker?

Dec 23, 19 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Uh oh

Dec 23, 19 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: