Archinect
anchor

Moonlighting as a design assistant?

Archicore

Hey all, it's been a while since I've last been here!

I've read a few posts on moonlighting here, and I wanted to preface my thread by stating that I have gained permission from my boss, and that it is allowed by company policy as well.

I've recently moved to a significantly more expensive local and currently have a job that I absolutely love. However, I'm looking to gain some experience in a different sector, and make a bit of money on the side to pay for furniture. Sitting on cardboard boxes full of Instapak may be unique, potentially even fashionable, but it is not comfortable.

I currently work on mostly industrial/infrastructure projects, and I wanted to get a bit of perspective on what it's like to work on single family residential.

Have any of you here had any experience in hiring, or working as an assistant to architects on the side of a full time job? Is this a viable idea?

Taking this one step further. If viable, what might be some methods of getting in touch with architects looking for help?

Nov 22, 19 11:46 am
thisisnotmyname

It can be done.  I have known people who have drafted in the evenings for residential architects after working daytime at commercial firms.   Your local AIA chapter may be a good place to put your resume in the job bank and also to connect with firm owners at events.

If your city has a local shelter/home decor magazine, that can be resource for locating local firms that do residential work.

The key to making two jobs work will be having clear schedule boundaries and expectations between you and your multiple bosses.  I also suggest trying to find a residential operation that is well-organized and runs smoothly.

Nov 23, 19 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I flipped houses for a while (recession) and worked for a bunch of design/build firms.  A lot of them don't want to share your name.  Better to go through realestate agents as they're always looking for designers and builders to help them with sales.  Keller Williams agents seemed to do this more.  On moonlighting, I had a gentlemen's agreement that even though my firm frowned upon moonlighting in general, my work was so out of their scope (light construction and resi stuff, also some property condition assessments) that they were fine with it as long as it didn't conflict with my day job.  I seem to be able to handle about $30k in sidework without feeling stressed or losing too many weekends, and I enjoy it.    

Our firm got bought out and the new firm is way more strict about this stuff.  I just got audited by HR as they noticed I still hadn't signed the employee agreement, which adds a lot of language about NDA, noncompete, no moonlighting, we own everything you do, etc...  was hoping to fly under the radar but it's not looking good.

Sep 8, 21 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: