Archinect
anchor

Does this house have a named architectural style?

filipcurcic

Hi

Is there a name for this style of houses?

I am trying to find the correct solution for renovating my weekend house. Hope you can help me establish which direction I should go. I want to do a couple of things:

1) put a new paint (usually these houses are white and blinds are blue or green, but I'd love to know more from the architectural background, and how can the ornaments on the wall be solved in that case)

2) What would be appropriate way to organize the entrance stairs? They are made of stone, but they need a handrail which usually goes well with it.

Googling around about the style could help me get some ideas, but I dont know what to look for.

Hope you can help

Thanks!

Oct 29, 19 11:46 am
filipcurcic

just adding an email alert for the case some comments are posted... :)

Oct 29, 19 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Call it eclectic for the time being. Where is it? That might help determine what it was trying to become. 

Oct 29, 19 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

It was built in 1904. Location is Vrnjacka Banja, Serbia.

Oct 29, 19 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

There is another much more famous house in the same town that maybe resembles the style. They both have the similar base made of stone and similar "edges" 

Oct 29, 19 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

I believe the correct term is MultiFaux.

I especially like the psuedoquoins.

Oct 29, 19 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I'd tag the famous house as Beaux Arts Palladian, and your, sad to say, as a pretty poor imitation.

Oct 29, 19 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's a pretty common dumpster fire style.  Do whatever you want to it, you can't make it worse.

Oct 29, 19 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I've seen worse. The OP's house shares, and almost copies, several features with the 'famous' house: flat roof, quoins, extended stone foundation, wooden railings. That 'famous' house is now the 'Castle of Culture, Vrnjacka Banja' and was built late in the 19th century with a mix of Romantic and Rennaisance elements found in the north of Italy, according to a couple of web sites. The OP could look to the villas of northern Italy for ideas or the 'Castle of Culture' in his own backyard. 

Oct 29, 19 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

It's an eminence front.

It's an eminence front

It's a put on.

Oct 29, 19 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You mean the OP may be a realtor trying to unload the house? That thought crossed my mind.

Oct 29, 19 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Charming if derivative 5 bed, 1 bath mini-castle in suburban Serbia. Granite countertops inside, granite quarry outside. Home theater with built-in 8mm projection. Carpets included; quoins extra. Owners must sell; husband missing.

Oct 29, 19 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

omg those quoins actually hurt my brain

Oct 29, 19 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Lucky for you you don't live in Orange County or the San Gabriel Valley, CA.

Oct 29, 19 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

It is a little reminiscent of the palazzo style, though its missing a lot of other elements.

Oct 29, 19 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

Thanks guys I learned a lot from your comments :)

Oct 30, 19 4:55 am  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

Can you tell me more about the quoins? What is so wrong with them? Disregard the color :D 

Trying to find more info online, but no success.

Oct 30, 19 5:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bro, it’s decorative cartoony shit that makes it look like real stone masonry construction. Think of it like wearing a tuxedo t-shirt and Hawaiian pattern board shorts to a formal dinner. That’s what these quoins are doing here.

Oct 30, 19 7:37 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Decorative quoins are acceptable and if done right are not half bad. In your case quoins are the least of your problems. Several shutters are about to fall off, possibly injuring some kid playing underneath. The damaged ones need to be removed today, even if you can't replace them right away. A couple of windows on the first floor seem to be broken and the side doors next to them are atrocious. The yard seems to be an overgrown weed patch. You seem to be a real estate agent intent on marketing the house, why not be honest about it? It could be made to look halfway decent but needs to be brought out of intensive care first.

Oct 30, 19 7:49 am  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

haha dude... do you really think that are is a kid playing in a garden of an abandoned house?

Oct 30, 19 8:18 am  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

If you really want to know, it's the place I used to live when I was a kid, and has a big garden and a lot of space and I always enjoyed it. Unfortunately, some people died and I inherited it. And yes there was bad weather and some weed has grown meanwhile. Now I am a bit older and I am trying to learn more, so I came to ask for professional opinions, and not bullshit talks.

Oct 30, 19 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bullshit and snark is free. Professional opinions cost money. Also important, decorative quoins are never acceptable.

Oct 30, 19 9:15 am  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

Purist approach is OK. I hope you dont put cream in your pasta carbonara. :)

Oct 30, 19 10:04 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

We here at Archinect would never put cream in pasta carbonara, *scoff* to think we'd be able to afford a pasta dish of such high caliber and nomenclature. It's ramen noodles over here.

Oct 30, 19 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

No cream, but I do use pancetta instead of guanciale.

Oct 30, 19 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

While I generally don't like fake things in architecture, false quoins have a long precedent: https://www.antiquehomesmagazine.com/historic-style-guide/georgian/.

And AT, pancetta in pasta carbonera is heresy. I grow my own guanciale specifically for pasta carbonera ;-)

Oct 30, 19 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Tuxedo T-shirt! There is absolutely no better way to describe this. Spot-on Non

Oct 31, 19 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

WG, my neighbors would be upset if I were raising my own guanciale.

(Although there was this one Louisiana barbecue place in the town I grew up in - I would not have wanted to be the one arguing that grandfather clause to the planning commission...)

Oct 31, 19 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

More importantly are there any plum trees in the backyard for some good old Serbian brandy?

Oct 30, 19 7:48 am  · 
 · 
filipcurcic

haha... :) almost, actually apricots...

Oct 30, 19 8:15 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Even better! I was in Serbia few months back as I wanted to visit some of the WW2 monuments and I also wrote a paper on Modernism in the former Yugoslavia decades ago, so it was nice to re-visit. Amazing and welcoming people! Particularly amazed that every person I ran into wanted me to eat and eat some more and of course sip on brandy. Hope you can fix this building up!

Oct 30, 19 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Wood siding, scored and made to look like stone. Mt. Vernon, 1797. 

Oct 30, 19 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Yeah, but Washington had wooden teeth, too - he obviously had a thing for wood.

Oct 30, 19 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: