Archinect
anchor

ICC - meaning of empty cells in Tables?

LittleRed

What do empty cells mean here? No rating required? What difference is there between "0" and an empty cell?

Oct 24, 19 1:25 pm
SneakyPete

There's more than 30 feet between the occupancies.  There's no need for a rated wall. I would assume they used 0's elsewhere because the cell has multiple values and leaving it blank would cause more confusion. Seems they underestimated the issue.

Oct 24, 19 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

My printed edition of the 2015 code has zeros on that line. The online free version of 2015 and 2018 doesn't have anything like in your image. I imagine that there is no requirement for rating under 602.

Oct 24, 19 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
LittleRed

Thanks! This is actually a screen shot of my view of the free online 2018 version - and there are many instances of similar blank cells in there. SO weird.

Oct 24, 19 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Mine also has a 0 in that spot!

Oct 24, 19 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's almost like the code was written by the same sorts of folks who commonly miss errors during the QA/A+QM portion of CDs. ;)

Oct 24, 19 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Oh, you sweet Summer child...it's so much worse than that. Codes are written by committees of those people.

Oct 24, 19 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL, atelier nobody!!

Oct 24, 19 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's one of the reasons why I support upcodes.

Oct 24, 19 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

You all are welcome to complain about it (I get it). However, having just gotten home from the Las Vegas ICC Public Comment hearings, my guess is that there were less than ten other practicing architects participating in person in the code development process. If only a tiny fraction of the effort expended complaining about the ICC was spent actually working on code reform we would have an entirely different (and better) built environment and profession.

Oct 27, 19 10:51 am  · 
 · 
LittleRed

Thanks all! Glad there's consensus.

Oct 24, 19 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: