Archinect
anchor

need advice on working with contractors

small

I'm looking at potential jobs with a contractor (as a team) and am not sure who to set up my contract with: the owner or contractor. What seems to make the most sense to me is to set up a contract with the owner directly in terms of liability and protecting everyone's interest. I do not work for nor have a contract with the contractor, but he has been referring jobs to me with the intent to work directly with him, and if I sign a contract with the owner, there is the risk that they may not sign with the contractor and he would be at a loss. On the other hand, if I set up a design contract with the contractor, then I would have less responsibility to the owner, but this doesn't seem right for the owner. Curious to know if anyone has any similar experience and how they approached it. 

Oct 4, 19 3:16 am

Front room or back room. If you’re in the front room you are working for the client, in the back room you work for the builder. The front room protects the client, the back room is riddled with conflicts of interest. 

Not every client the contractor gets is going to use you, and vice versa. The efficiency of delivery and quality of the product should be the team selling points. 

Have a talk with the contractor about this. If he’s a pro you will come to an understanding in 30 seconds. If he tries to put you in the back room take a walk.

In either event you want to build a network that includes multiple  contractors and subs. Don’t pigeonhole yourself.

Oct 4, 19 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Sounds like it would be a design build situation if you signed on with the contractor.  I believe AIA has design build contracts to look at.  

Oct 4, 19 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: