Archinect
anchor

2.51 GPA..Desperate for help!

AlinaF

I am a very talented and ambitious student currently applying for an MArch. I want your advice... Which schools can I get into with a 2.51 GPA? 

My wishlist schools are Portland State University, MIT, SCI-Arc, Pratt, UMich and Berkeley. I don't think I stand a chance to get into Pratt or UMich, but I'm going to apply anyway.

Please help I don't know if I can really become an architect with my GPA and I am starting to get desperate! 

Aug 22, 19 2:14 pm
tttt

Alina, you won't go very far with that GPA. End of story. 

Aug 22, 19 2:33 pm
rsrs

You want to get into.. MIT(!) with 2.50?! Ok.. let us know how that goes 8-)

Aug 22, 19 3:19 pm
rsrs

Mostly realistic.. With 2.50 you won't even get into Portland State that you mentioned.

tduds

Oh, this is sarcasm.

SneakyPete

So this is just a terrible attempt at trolling? 

Aug 22, 19 5:43 pm
RickB-Astoria

If they generally require a 3.0 GPA or higher which is normal for most graduate school level degrees regardless of major, it is because it is a requirement of grad school programs..... it will be very VERY difficult to get admissions if you are more than 0.2 GPA points below 3.0. They may provide for conditional admission. That is not always an option. Conditional admission allows a limited amount of time for you to raise your GPA up to the baseline 3.0 level or higher level. You are generally too far below that to do so within the first academic year of the program. They usually give you 1 term or semester to 1 academic year. If not, you are dropped. I would advise retaking the specific courses that are C or lower and turn those into A and Bs and maybe take some additional courses along the way to get you a little over 3.0.

Most highly competitive programs would make it difficult to get admitted if your GPA is below 3.3. Usually they want people with 3.5 or higher because you have at least 0.5 GPA points above the minimum. 

In fact, I'm actually potentially closer to a 3.0 than you are even if I retake some of the general ed at Portland State University by transfering only my CCC transcript which is now at least 0.3+ GPA points higher than yours and well above the minimum for the 4 year B.S./B.A. in Architecture program and with the architecture program, I have room to raise it above 3.0 by a good margin before going into their M.Arch. Point isn't will I or will i not. That is unimportant here. I'm technically in a better position GPA wise than you as it seems.

RickB-Astoria

Retake the weak courses that were Cs and replace them with mostly As and you will be in a better position for getting across the 3.0 line. You might be admitted conditionally if at 2.8 or 2.9 GPA but you will need to make consistently 3.3 and higher term GPA at Portland State in grad school to keep a good satisfactory progress for what will help you remain in the degree because they will be looking at your degree major cumulative GPA as you go through the program to determine if you stay or is dropped do to unsatisfactory performance. I highly suggest you repair that GPA before moving in otherwise you really have to have a stellar portfolio of work. I don't recall there being many M.Arch programs anywhere that would allow admission at this level of GPA.

tduds

Ricky no it's a trap.

RickB-Astoria

Lesson to be learned is while you can most certainly appreciate classical architecture that for the sake of assignments that you may widen your repertoire even if you choose to not design in those styles. The other part of the lesson to learn is not project such an attitude because they will factor in some part of grading your attitude. It isn't exactly labeled that way but there is ways they can factor in.... where poor attitude results in lower points in certain areas of grading criterion. MIT I believe would be harder to get into than Portland State because it is a highly competitive Ivy League school that is academically comparable to schools like Harvard and they pride themselves with "having the brightest" and they quantify that by high GPA level expectation. Your GPA level wouldn't meet academic progress at University of Oregon's B.Arch when I applied there let alone be of satisfactory progress when taking the degree. They may have relaxed on some of the requirements for admission but I haven't applied for that program in awhile.

I think ALL (I haven't confirmed it though so it's just an off the cuff opinion which may or may not be entirely accurate) universities in the Oregon University System (OUS) that offers graduate degree programs requires a 3.0 minimum GPA for admission. It is pretty common for grad schools in most states whether public or private.

tduds

I tried

RickB-Astoria

tduds, I didn't see your post appear yet so now that I see it, I see your point. Too bad your previous post didn't appear when I started writing my prior reply.

RickB-Astoria

AlinaF, I was at University of Oregon. If I went to Portland State University's architecture program instead, I would have been admitted into their architecture program without a hitch. They weren't NAAB accredited yet so I applied to UO. I still got admitted into the university but as far as the architecture program, that's another ordeal altogether. To get into the M.Arch portion at Portland State, I would have had to perform at stellar level with at least 2/3 of the credits being As and 1/3 being Bs to get my CCC GPA up to satisfactory level but doable.

RickB-Astoria

To be clear, I am not dissing Portland State. They do have a lower GPA admission requirement for getting into Portland State's bachelor's level degree in architecture. However, their M.Arch requires a 3.0 or higher level just like at UO and many others.

Although I wasn't always pushing for 3.0+ level GPA at CCC and my GPA suffered for it but I was at suitable level. Right now, my GPA from Clatsop Comm. College is at 2.84. Moving the GPA points much on a per class basis is extremely hard with over 250 credits from the school but it moves incrementally with a lot of As and Bs to move the numbers. However, I would only get to transfer only about half the credits and the GPA would be recalibrated and keeping up good grades is really the key here.

ForeignConcept

Notre Dame is a great school to pursue classical architecture. Don’t know about GPA but it seems aligned with your interests.

RickB-Astoria

I wouldn't say I was "too good" a student to go to Portland State. I was making a decision based on what degree would qualify me for licensure. Oregon architectural licensing requirements would require me to have earned an NAAB accredited degree. Either I go to Portland State for the 4 year part and then go to UO for the 2 year M.Arch or I get the 5 year B.Arch. My rationale was based on part cost and duration. It would take at least a year longer for a 4+2 process compared to 5 year and each year comes at around $15K in loans plus the 2 years at Masters level would come at something like $30K as there would be NO pell grant or other grants from the FAFSA program. It would be just loans and any scholarships I maybe able to get and that's all I would have. So the cost would be higher. I would get pell grants and so forth for all 5 years with some loans so it would come at a better financial cost level. That's the basic rationale for choice in the matter. I would likely have to have a dorm/apartment. I might be able to save a little for a couple of terms by traveling back and forth between Astoria and Portland but probably not so much after that but Eugene is just too much for it to make sense. I would be on the road too much and lose a lot of valuable time.

Even though the cost is deferred during attendance, I still have to pay the price so I have to count it as cost.

RickB-Astoria

Yes. If you don't have a place to live rent free or don't have a scholarship or some money set aside by parents to pay for your classes, yeah... you still have to take out loans. FAFSA doesn't provide full-ride grants. 

sameolddoctor

Youve truly got the winning trifecta combo : Crap School + Crap GPA + (Most importantly) CRAP ATTITUDE.

Aug 22, 19 6:07 pm
Non Sequitur

1/10 for the OP’s attempt. 

9/10 for the response. 

Aug 22, 19 6:35 pm
Non Sequitur

I recommend chainsaw juggling.

Non Sequitur

Oddly enough neither one of degrees used a gpa system.

RickB-Astoria

:-) I know why but don't know if AlinaF would.

SpontaneousCombustion

You need to keep better track of your storylines. Remember "I paid my way into a top school and cheated to graduate. After graduation, I was easily hired at starchitect firms through the school's alumni network."?  

Aug 22, 19 7:02 pm
SpontaneousCombustion

You cheated to graduate and only managed a 2.5? So then why can't you buy your way into an M.Arch program?

SneakyPete

The trolling, it does nothing!

SneakyPete

You're fascinating.

RickB-Astoria

If I was making the decision today, I may attend the program in Portland State but at the time, it wasn't yet accredited by the NAAB. However, my decision isn't to say Portland State University sucks but I would have to come at it positioning myself for admissions in the M.Arch level. If I was taking a B.Arch, sure. I could potentially transfer prior to petitioning to receive degree and transfer to UO for the remainder at UO under the B.Arch so I can stay in Undergraduate status for financial aid grant purposes. How feasible that is might not be so easily feasible. It may still take another two years but at least I would be getting some of the grant and paying at undergraduate level tuition.

daer

Hi Alina, I am sorry to say this but your GPA is too low for the schools you are applying to.

Have you thought about Boston Architectural College?

Aug 22, 19 7:30 pm
RickB-Astoria

That too... I think. The M.Arch program at BAC, I believe requires a 3.0 GPA for admission. It has been awhile since I last checked. He might be able to transfer from B.S./B.A. in Architecture to a B.Arch program such as Academy of Arts University and others where they don't require a 3.0 or higher GPA for admission into their program.

daer

No Alina, I don't think so. As I said, your GPA (and I would imagine your portfolio too) is not sufficient.

RickB-Astoria

Mediocre GPA generally correlates with mediocre portfolio. Especially if your undergrad degree is in architecture. While this may or may not be the case but this is how it usually is in most cases.

daer

AlinaF I wouldn't usually say this but a 2.5 GPA from a school like PSU is a clear indication of a complete lack of academic ability at all levels. I am surprised as to why you still want to continue with an MArch since you clearly didn't take your former studies seriously. Personally, I would never hire a graduate of that low calibre. 

Aug 22, 19 8:53 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: