Archinect
anchor

Please help decide between two floor plans

Dalida

Dear All,

I'm incredibly torn and am unable to decide which attached floor plan to use for my 90sqm flat renovation that is supposed to start in September in the centre of Budapest. The layout of the flat is not great it being 6m wide x 15m long with all windows being placed on one side of the flat (ceiling height is 3,5 m which wouldn't allow for a full height loft), however I have two entrances which means I could create two flats vs one. 

I intend on renting out the flat(s) but I also wouldn't exclude moving there eventually years from now (I like to have my options open).

The neighbours won't allow Airbnb in the building so I will have to resort to mid- long term lets in which case I'd like the space to be very unique and very high spec and rent it cautiously for a high price. For Airbnb I would have compromised on cheaper solutions. 

My dilemma is I don't know which solution i.e. 1 vs 2 flats would be optimal and which one would have more of a wow factor. 

I really want something unique, with bold but practical solutions. I'd love to create a loft style industrial/minimalist space but do you think the size and layout of the flat would allow for that wow factor at all? 

The project manager I'd like to use has created two floor plans, one for each scenario but I simply cannot envision that uniqueness I'm looking for in those floor plans although I think they are very good.

What should I do: have 1 or 2 flats and in either case is it possible at all to bring out that wow factor I so much would like to achieve? 

This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make and I seem to be incapable of making up my mind.

Thank you so much for any tips/suggestions/pointers in advance!

D

Aug 15, 19 4:30 pm
Non Sequitur

both options are pretty shitty. That must be the world’s smallest 6 person dinning table. You should have hired an architect. 

Aug 15, 19 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

They definitely have some wow factor.

Aug 15, 19 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

decide whether you want one 3 bedroom unit, or 2 smaller units. this is not an architectural question, it's a functional question with architectural solutions.

both options can be done well, but neither of your plans are.

Aug 15, 19 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

also in most cities you need special approval to change a one family residence into two. you'll need to find someone who knows the regulations in budapest to advise on that.

Aug 15, 19 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

In both drawings the bedrooms are on the side with the windows. Reverse that and put clerestory windows in the interior walls to admit light into the bedrooms from the living areas. The first drawing has the bathroom off the kitchen. Gross and possibly unsanitary. Put the bathroom just inside the bedroom if nothing else. If guests have to step inside the bedroom to potty, so what? 

Aug 16, 19 7:30 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Ya because windows in bedrooms is a bad idea......bahahaha

Aug 16, 19 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

What would you do; the OP said that one side of the house doesn't have any windows?

Aug 16, 19 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I don’t know about the codes where OP lives but here in Canada windows are required means of egress for bedrooms

Aug 16, 19 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hip... do windows in condo buildings serve as egress when they are above 3 storeys? Regardless, direct source of daylight is required for health anyways and our codes dictate the minimum size allowed. Volunteer, your suggestion to move bedrooms away from windows is still pretty bad tho. Why maximize daylight to a corridor instead of bedrooms?

Aug 16, 19 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

In the first drawing the unit with one bedroom doesn't have a window for that bedroom anyway. Also, no bedroom door is drawn so I don't know what is going on there. My idea with the clerestory windows in the bedrooms was to get as much diffused light into the bedrooms as possible and have as much natural light for the remaining living spaces. 

Aug 16, 19 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Got'cha. I assumed that was a fold-away bed in a studio apartment.

Aug 16, 19 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: