Archinect
anchor

What is the best path for progression in architecture?

adamgerken

Hi All,

I'm just looking some advice from people who are more experienced than me in the world of architecture..

I'm a 19 year old guy from the UK, and was lucky enough to have the opportunity to begin work straight after my a levels in an architectural practice as a trainee Architectural Technician. I work 4 days a week while doing a HNC for one day - I've been doing this for a year now, and like to think I'm picking up cad skills and learning building knowledge well (it is all completely new to me - I studied sciences etc in school and sixth form - nothing to do with construction). I enjoy work greatly as I find architecture interesting and always enjoy the challenge of learning new things. However, I am and ambitious and always looking into the future as to how I can better myself, and was wondering what a good pathway would be for me to take as I become older and more knowledgeable in construction. I have to admit I am not too interested in studying to become a full architect, and even though I love my job I don't want to do it forever (that's looking a long time ahead of course!) - so what kind of jobs are there in the construction / architectural world could be ahead for me? Of course property development is the big money maker, but you need to be pretty well off to start thinking about that as a primary job. What would you guys suggest as options as I get older?

Aug 13, 19 4:18 pm
Volunteer

Get a Civil Engineering degree with a concentration in structures or construction management. Several U/K colleges offer the programs. 

Aug 14, 19 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Best path for progression: marry an heiress. 

Aug 14, 19 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

FR-EE FTW

Aug 14, 19 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: