Archinect
anchor

Sketching Apps

robhaw

Does anyone here use any sketching apps?

I recently came across Autodesk Sketchbook and I find it quite an interesting option for concept images.

Personally, I am a proponent of digitally enhanced drawings, but still don't like Lumion as much, as it makes everything look uniform and I would like to have a bit of hand drawn input into the image.

Autodesk Sketchbook has features like one and two point perspective grids, line correction, different drafting tools etc.

Any other app suggestions?

Also, have you used any tablets for digital sketching? I know of the Wacom, but I am looking for one that's about A4 size and has an integrated display, more like a digital sketchbook that I can carry around.

Aug 7, 19 12:52 pm
curtkram

i think you would be hard pressed to find a better tool than autodesk's sketchbook.  the layers are a huge help so you can layer information, turn stuff on and off to see different options, things like that.  also, it's faster and easier to erase on a screen than it is on sketchpaper.

Aug 7, 19 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

I think it's great. Which tablet to you use it with?

Aug 7, 19 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

My phone. I had it on a Samsung note, but my office doesn't really embrace tablets for what I do right now.

Aug 7, 19 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

I see. I am looking to get a tablet with a stylus. I quite like the idea of having a mobile digital sketchbook.

Aug 7, 19 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

I'm curious.  How much do these programs cost?  And are they purchased outright, or subscription things with expiration dates?

Aug 9, 19 8:10 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

Autodesk Sketchbook is free.

Aug 9, 19 8:12 am  · 
 · 
Liz_Lf

Autodesk Sketchbook is a favorite free option of mine. Very useful especially if you have an apple pencil. 

Aug 14, 19 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I think this thread was resurrected by trolls, but it's a good topic. I've been using ProCreate on an iPad and in many ways it's ideal. The battery life of the iPad and pencil are less ideal, but I have the last generation of both, not the latest. Is anyone else using it? 

Architect friends rave about Morpholio Trace. I haven't used it yet but will give it a try at some point. Over the weekend I sketched with pencil for the first time in a while and it feels more natural than sketching on glass. But being able to erase, layer, change colors, and send my drawings to others without having to scan them are all big plusses for me. 

Dec 14, 20 10:32 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I've used Procreate, and Morpholio. I like both. Procreate I like for many reasons, but I do geek about the ability to record and playback a video of the work. Morpholio seems most like what I would use to make architectural drawings, or sketches. I've been trying to get them to make some helpful changes, and they seem to really do a good job of listening to professionals.

Dec 14, 20 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

To be fair, if you're going paperless, as I presume you are based on the fact you're looking at sketching apps, AutoDesk Sketchbook has my vote.

Other than that, Affinity Photo or Photoshop, the latter can be quite costly per year.

Tablets, the Wacom ones are great. The alternative would be a touchscreen or maybe a Surface Studio, but they come with a hefty price tag. It all depends on whether you want to feel like you're drawing on a board or happy to accept the 'digital' feel of a tablet.

Dec 14, 20 10:38 am  · 
1  · 
proto

i use trace on iPad sporadically. Usually for photo markups, not presentation imagery. Sketchbook is great too, tho I find the Trace tools more to my liking.

As an aside, I really find that I don’t do much in the way of graphics anymore...the stuff I want to linger over just isn’t billable in a way that covers the invested time. And, at least among our clientele, no one is asking for it (ie billable deliverable); sketches: yes, rendered/artistically presented: no.

Dec 14, 20 11:08 am  · 
1  · 

For those of you that use sketch apps and pads;  do you find it odd to sketch on the pad and have it appear on the screen above the drawing surface? 

Dec 14, 20 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
proto

sometimes you initiate random lines by how you lean on the screen

But Apple Pencil is better now about knowing that the pencil tip is near and not getting pinky scribbles

It does pressure and speed pretty well. Zooming in/out is a little weird to keep your sketching to scale with itself: how your hand shakes or arcs a line...

You get used to the minor divorce between pencil tip/screen interface and image of the screen below

Dec 15, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

What about when it's a pad that is linked to your computer screen. AKA, draw on your desk but it appears on your monitor. How is dealing with the disconnect then?

Dec 15, 20 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
proto

oh, gotcha...someone else will have to answer that one...

Dec 15, 20 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: