Archinect
anchor

Need advice Project published without Credit

Good afternoon,

A few days ago one of my projects was published on Architectural Digest, without my consent and I am trying to see what's the best way to deal with it. I've already tried calling and emailing them without any luck.

Link to the article: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/lee-daniels-los-angeles-home?fbclid=IwAR0x9I2xRNl1sU5ptEjmmEKj1JLaGIkDm4iiXv0ypk8iioiKo5uDId1Geg8

Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

Aug 6, 19 7:44 pm
starrchitect

What did the AIA say?

Aug 6, 19 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

What are the details of the situation?  Was it just an oversight on someone's part or is the client displeased with you for some reason?

If it's an oversight, you should politely reach out to the client and the author of the feature at Arch. Digest and see if you can get the online feature edited to credit your role in the project.  Explain to them crediting will help you immensely in getting future work.

If the client is mad at you, (or really thinks they designed the thing themselves) and doesn't want to credit you, there's really nothing you can do, unless you have something in your contract stipulating proper crediting when publication of the project happens.   I hope you at least have the right to photograph the house on your own dime and get it published elsewhere with proper credits.

Aug 6, 19 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

Current owner bought the house from my client, but I was able to reach the editor and she said she's going to give me my credit.

Aug 7, 19 1:18 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Seems to me like an elaborate way to promote your work.

Aug 6, 19 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

First, waaaaaa.

Second, do you own the house?

Third, fix your contract, numbnuts.

Fourth, waaaaaa...aaa......fuck the aia.

Aug 6, 19 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Contract wasn't with current owner, the property was sold.

Aug 7, 19 1:19 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Hahah. So you think the new owners can’t publish pictures of their house without your consent?

Aug 7, 19 1:44 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You're missing the point. Architectural Digest doesn't need your permission to publish your work, unless you took the photos and the magazine stole the photos.

Aug 7, 19 6:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It would be extra hilarious if the original architect demanded a cut or the resale profits.

Aug 7, 19 7:40 am  · 
 · 
midlander

it's not crazy for an architect to take a minority equity stake in a project. uncommon especially in private housing, but maybe that's a dumb oversight of our profession

Aug 7, 19 9:18 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

I don"t see what's wrong with having your work published in magazines. That's what any self-respecting architect would want.. 

Aug 7, 19 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

fyi AIA doesn't allow use of "AAIA" - you have to write it out - only "Associate AIA" or "Assoc. AIA" are ok.  You'll get a scolding letter from AIA legal counsel if you use "AAIA" in publication.  

Aug 7, 19 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: