Archinect
anchor

Salvaged Materials - Commercial

Scon124

Are there any architects that would be willing to use reclaimed commercial products? The ones that come to mind are wood doors and steel or alum. frames. I am a PM and walked through a space the other day that is slated to get gutted and it had 50-60 beautiful prefinished 9' tall wood doors with alum. frames. Most had sidelites.It would be a shame to send these off to the landfill.

Jul 4, 19 3:46 pm
Non Sequitur

Looks like a typical gov fit-up.

We've had the re-use discussion before and besides getting the GC to preserve them during the demo phase, the biggest hurdle is inventory.  Most fit-ups want uniformity and it's likely more work (and more time/more money) to survey existing and design accordingly.  Common issues I've come across is the warping of the frame, future hardware compliance, and minimum assembly STC.

Jul 4, 19 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Those aluminum frames and doors can certainly be used again.  If it's in a multi-tenant tower or office park, the property owner often has an inventory of building standard doors and frames that they will continuously reuse as tenants come and go and spaces are rearranged to fit them.  It is TI-level work, with a set door and frame finish and specific STCs are not a consideration.

Try finding a local charity that sells salvaged building materials.  Habitat for Humanity has stores that sell this kind of stuff in a number of cities where I have projects.  It can even be a tax write-off for somebody.

Jul 4, 19 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: