Archinect
anchor

Does SOM pay for VISA filing and the lawyer?

asdasdasd

Hi everyone -

I wonder if anyone knows if SOM pays for VISA filing (H1B/Green Card) and provides a lawyer?

Thanks.

Jun 6, 19 4:19 pm
Gloominati

It's illegal for a firm to pass the visa and attorney fees on to the employee - they are business expenses.  The stamping fee and the premium processing fee (if any) are the only things that they can legally push onto the employee.  When firms pass the application fees and attorneys' fee to the employee nobody admits to it on a public forum, as it's a federal crime.

Jun 6, 19 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Yes, go to USCIS website and it has all the information. The petitioner (employer) is paying the fees and they depend on how many employees you have. I think the fee is more if you have more than 50 employees.

Jun 7, 19 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Yes there's a matrix on the applicable .gov sites, with links to the applicable laws. Also any firm's attorney will tell them the same and lead them all through the breakdown of which fees are their responsibility.

I'm well aware that there are a lot of employers that illegally pass the visa expenses on to the employee, and that there are many employees who knowingly and willingly agree to that despite the illegality, because they desperately want the visas. Typically the way that works is that the employer pays everything upfront, for the sake of satisfying the legalities of the application process, and then the employee reimburses the employer under the table.  My point to the OP is just that he or she is not likely to get accurate info on a public forum about any particular firm or applicant that participates in that scheme, for obvious reasons.

Jun 7, 19 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
A lot of small firms get the employee to pay for a lot of these expenses. I think SOM would probably pay themselves, as they don’t pay much salary anyways...
Jun 7, 19 9:29 am  · 
 · 
magicpie_nc

They did 10+ years ago when I worked there :)

Sep 16, 19 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: