Archinect
anchor

Outlook for residential firms and best approach for technologists

AT75

Good morning,

I would like to address you few questions.

What is the outlook and type of service for residential firms (or non architectural firms) in Canada and US and which of these diplomas; Architectural technology, Civil engineering technology, Construction engineering technology, is best suited for academic knowledge, working experience and networking in the case of starting a residential firm.

Thanks in advance

Jun 4, 19 9:11 am
Non Sequitur

I'm not sure what you're looking for here that was not already answered in your last thread... but here goes round 2 I guess.

First thing first, you're looking at diplomas, not degrees.  These, for most graduates, will lead to lower entry-point gigs and will certainly have lower career ceilings compared to their bachelor/master equivalents.

What is important is what you want (or think you can) do with the piece of paper.  We've already covered the arch tech options earlier and your options to start a design service firm is heavily dependant on the local practice laws.  Using your current location (Ontario) as an example, you can offer design services to the public and sign for building permits as a sole practitioner, for exempt chapter 9 buildings if you pass the BCIN examinations and carry independent liability insurance.  That is the ceiling available to you unless you acquire an accredited architecture degree (or follow RAIC Syllabus) and complete IDP and ExACs.  Very few in the Arch Tech field follow this route because the content of the diploma and workload does not typically allow the necessary experience to start a successful design service firm.  Most remain production staff.

As for the Civil and other P.eng tech paths, those will vary but unless you can get that P.eng certification, you'll be production staff in large engineering offices for a long-time.  

My point here is that no single diploma will give you a path to starting a design firm.  That's just not what the academic structure of these courses aim to do.  It's a shot-gun way to add workers.  Some graduates are fantastic and evolve beyond expectations, but most are just that: workers (and unfortunately, many less so).

Jun 4, 19 9:46 am  · 
 · 
AT75

Thanks NS,

Since it was mentioned in the last tread the possibility to open a design firm and/or get a Building Code ID,  I was curios about their trend in the construction market.

Till now I know that "owning a firm" seem to be the Holy Grail for a lot of people and I was wondering if it's not just a mirage.

I read that there are different level of market and some time residential (single or small lots) fall in the low class of this kind of business and mid to big firms will not be interested in such a kind of market. I imagine that this market is some how quite limited and can't be seen as a solid bet since I got the feeling that just fairly wealthy people can afford to build their own house.

Right now I have a flat perception of these kind of firms and I don't know what's going on apart from their sites and projects, some seem to have a good work flow but I don't really know how much they can do both as real quantity of work and amount of revenue.

Said this IF it's not a mirage, I was wondering which path, with the very limited skill of a technologist could led to better results.

As an architectural tech you'll be working inside firms and have a (limited) view of the flow of the work during the planning, from design to business, while as a civil/construction engineering tech you would have a (limited) view of the construction process.

Both will lead to some kind of useful experience

One will lead to better wage to invest in case (eng tech).

But probably one will lead to better network (arch tech) for possible clients.

Sorry if I'm bothering with these rants, but my head is so full of questions and possibilities that I need to get rid of useless one, and yes I got too much free time.

Good night and ou revoir merci pour votre attention.

Jun 4, 19 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

All the diplomas you've listed lead, by default, to production jobs in their respective fields. How you expand beyond that role is up to you and the skills you bring to your employer. Most techs I've seen who have moved beyond the drafting gigs have taken construction management courses and are employed in GC offices. You need to know a shit-ton more of things to run projects and most of this info is learned on site, not in school. Best to take your diploma and start working before making pie-in-the-sky plans. See what you're comfortable with

Jun 4, 19 11:09 am  · 
 · 
AT75

Thanks again for your help and time NS, sincerely appreciate.

I don't like to make pie in the sky, even if they surely taste of fluffy clouds and rainbows, since they tend to have the awful habit to end on your head and not in your belly.

Jun 4, 19 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: