Archinect
anchor

Student Architect looking to do underground structures

antonjet

Hi, I want to somehow end up wanting to do some underground work, like designing underground bases for major firms.

Do they even hire architects for this or do they just hire civil engineers? 

How would I attain this? What qualifications would I need? I'm afraid I need to somehow do some structural engineering or civil in my studies. 

I DO not want to do another undergrad, would Masters in architectural engineering be good option? Would this be considered an engineering degree? Would I also get licensed as both an engineer and as an architect after completing this?

May 26, 19 9:20 am
Steeplechase

I’m not really sure what you are actually describing. Like entire underground complexes? Not sure if there are than many being built and they still require an architect. Large projects tend to have separate engineers for a reason and trying to be both architect and engineer won’t really help you.

You could also join a drug cartel. https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-tunnel/

May 26, 19 10:28 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Solid 7/10.

May 26, 19 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
antonjet

I have done my research and there as many as 200 clandestine underground bases in USA alone.

Yes, underground complexes that uses state of the art technology. I need a study path on how to do this. I have done my undergrad in Architecture. What should I do from here?

May 27, 19 1:48 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

There being 200 such facilities doesn’t say anything about how many are being built now.

Architects are still involved in such projects. The layout of the spaces still need to meet life safety and accessibility requirements. Someone still does the coordination between disciplines. Waterproofing details can be really important in underground facilities.

You’ll need to be physically working in the US, licensed in a US state and be a US citizen. Even rather mundane DoD projects will require that only US citizens work on the project and be physically located in the US.

May 27, 19 9:02 am  · 
 · 
midlander

it's not clear what exactly you mean by 'secret bases' but you seem to have some misconception about the role of architects in designing below ground spaces.

there isn't generally any distinction between architects working on below ground spaces - it's designed according to use just as anything else. I'd say for the most part it's a part of the work that gets given to competent mid-level staff to manage because no one really gets excited about the spaces few people will see.

most large urban projects have some underground space for MEP or parking. Go work in a studio doing mixed use work in east Asia and you could easily have 5-6 levels of basement parking, mep, and retail if that's what you're in to. I know a firm that has a team in Shanghai focused entirely on planning and design of subway-station retail and support spaces. there are other firms specialized in subway stations too, part of that work includes architects.

if otoh you're talking about designing the foundations and substructure, yeah that's obviously a separate discipline (structural engineering) and studying architecture won't help you get into it. but it's also not separate from the ordinary discipline of structural engineering - it's an ordinary part of the work of all structural engineers.

May 26, 19 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
antonjet

Yes, I get what you mean that is quite a seperate discipline, but the question is do these major civil engineering contractors (like Bechtel and Arup) that construct these bases hire architects to design these multi-leveled underground bases with floor plans and everything else?

My gut feeling is pointing towards the engineers to even design these bases like structural engineers or civil engineers, I don't think spatial design and aesthetics are really taken into account into these technologically advanced bases or maybe they are? 

I might be wrong. But I do have a gut feeling I need to take some engineering into consideration in my studies. 

May 27, 19 1:53 am  · 
 · 
antonjet

-

May 27, 19 1:53 am  · 
 · 
antonjet

Yes, I hopefully want to help design clandestine bases for the military / government and be a part of a major firm who contracts this?

I have an undergrad in architecture? What path should I take? 

There is a masters in Sweden that's called Masters in Civil Engineering Architectural Engineering

May 27, 19 1:40 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Why don't you contact one of these firms and ask what their requirements are for such work.

As a foreign national your chances of being considered for work on American projects will be low (most likely impossible unless you are an immigrant with reliable work history in the US?) - there are fairly strict security clearance requirements including a background check for on many less sensitive government projects. Maybe there are European projects you could be involved in.

I think mostly these jobs are based on experience and work skills ; there will be no extra course of schooling that helps with this. I've certainly never heard of special courses of study for more common project types and expect it's similar for this.

May 27, 19 5:05 am  · 
 · 
antonjet

I'm willing to be a citizen of the United States for sure. 

I have done some research and they do hire architects but am not sure about government military projects specifically with underground bases. 

May 27, 19 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm thinking the selection process for military is rather strict and they don't select the design firms like they would for other buildings... that plus, how many of these things are actually built every year? can't imagine there is much competition so go out and find the firms that do this and apply for a job. I am sure you'll find out that it's more civil and structural engineering work than architecture, with a healthy amount copy-pasted from previous build models.

May 27, 19 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

A lot of DoD work is done with open RFPs, given to the lowest bidder. There is a good bit of competition as a lot of mid-to-large firms have teams dedicated to just churning out a lot of really mundane stuff like barracks and warehouses, but it is consistent business. Even that really mundane stuff can come with the requirement that all project staff be US citizens working in the US. Anything that even starts to get serious, requires security clearances and actual approval from the DoD to be on the project. This applies even to just picking up redlines for an afternoon.

May 27, 19 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: