Question on getting the California Architect License as a Germany Licensed Architect


Hi there,

i live and work as an architect in Los Angeles for about 18 months now. I graduated as a "Diplom Ingeniuer" (Masters) in Germany in architecture and have earned the architect license in the state of Nord-Rhein-Westfalen after 2 years of practical experience.

I have more than 5 years work experience in Germany and around 18 months in the US. For a while now i am thinking about getting my license in the US since my wife is american and i am planning to stay here for good.

Are there any German colleagues here who went through a similar process and know how to go forward with the licensing procedure?!

I am wondering if my license and work experience would get accredited here in California and if i have to go through NCARB to get my US license as an architect?! All the different agencies are very confusing here and the fees are insanely high. Is that normal or am i misunderstanding something?!

Any tips or help is highly appreciated!

Thank you!


Apr 24, 19 6:55 pm

You will need to get an NCARB Certificate and pass the California Supplemental Exam.

Yes, the fees are high. California seems to have a fee for every interaction.

Apr 24, 19 8:19 pm  · 

A fair amount of people take their exams through their employers, who pay for the exam fees. Might be an option if you're okay with staying with a single office for a while.

Apr 24, 19 9:58 pm  · 

Thank you for the answers.

Really appreciate it.

Apr 27, 19 9:44 pm  · 

sorry I didn't see this before, you will have to have your school records translated into english and evaluated by EESA, then open an ncarb record and do axp like regular american graduates. The translation and evaluation is what's costly.

Apr 30, 19 4:34 pm  · 
drums please, Fab?

Good luck!

Apr 30, 19 7:56 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: