Archinect
anchor

Internship Salary in Denmark

yyy3

Hi everyone, 

I am interested in doing an internship in Denmark. I saw on Glassdoor that the average internship salary is around 6000 Danish Krone. Is this number accurate? 

Thanks a lot! 

Apr 13, 19 11:59 pm
mrcutout

Yes. 6000 dkk is the minimum monthly stipend required by danish law and most danish firms just pay minimum to interns. Also, interns pay taxes but may apply for tax return every April. 

Many danish companies provide free lunch on weekdays, making 600 dkk a bit more acceptable for you to live on.

Apr 14, 19 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That’s about 1000 usd. That’s bloody joke.

Apr 14, 19 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
yyy3

Thanks for the info!

Apr 15, 19 4:11 am  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

The system in Denmark is kind of special, as students normally receive the Student Stipend from the state (SU) while Danish students take on internships, as they are part of the education and gives you ECTS points comparable to a semester usually. Therefore, the companies don't actually have to pay anything and (unfortunately) that is often what they do to Danish Students. So 6000DKK will be the same as your Danish Intern Colleagues receive. In reality, they could choose not to pay anything at all, as there is no minium wage in Denmark for architects in private companies. If I were you, I would maybe try to negotiate a higher wage, if you have been offered the position. Danish Employers won't look down on this most of the time, as long as you can argue why you would need more (for instance: the cost of living is more than my income or I have so much experience that I can work on projects myself... Etc).

Apr 15, 19 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Itsalude

hello, first post on here. I was hired for a job in Denmark but was only offered 3000dkk and they said that's the max :/ 

Is it a law for them to give me the 6k? 

Also, is anyone familiar with the visa process? Looking online it says I need to be in school and my degree must be similar to my architecture internship. I am getting an online masters but it's not in architecture. It's more on the art/business side of things. I tried calling in for clarification but they were pretty nasty to me over the phone and told me to "read what it says and use my best judgement"

Apr 22, 19 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
潤美長島

Have you already get intern visa?? I would like to get it as same as you....

May 22, 20 5:46 am  · 
 · 
潤美長島

Nice to meet you, I am going to do an internship in Copenhagen from September this year.

The salary of the internship is only 3000dkk as same as Itsalude.

But I don't know this salary is allowed to get intern visa.

SIRI says, "If you receive a salary during your internship, your salary must be at least DKK 6,166 per month (2019 level). The salary must be stated in the standard contract. If your internship is without pay, you must provide documentation of your ability to support yourself during the full period of your internship."

If you would know whether I could get in this case or not, would you please tell me???

May 22, 20 5:47 am  · 
 · 
fatememarzban

hi 

I am a general practitioner and I am moving to denmark. They say I have to spend a year of internship to be able to work there. So I want to know exactly how much do they pay medical interns monthly.

I would be glad if some one could help me please

Sep 1, 21 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Not sure about medical interns, but as an architect intern in 2019, I made about $600 USD/month

Sep 1, 21 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sounds like poverty.

Sep 1, 21 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Total living expenses in Copenhagen Average cost
1 person, per month (without rent) DKK7,409.90

Sep 1, 21 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
danielkragskov

As I mentioned above, there is no minimum wage in Denmark, so private companies are allowed to offer you whatever they want. In Denmark wage is regulated between the union and the employers organisation. In the architectural field, there is no agreement and therefore no bottom cap. Look up The Danish Model for more on this. Of you have an architectural education comparable to the Danish Bologna model Bachelor and Candidate degree, then a starting salary will be in the range of 28000-35000 Dkk before taxes per month.

Sep 4, 22 10:16 am  · 
 · 

So I did live in DK in 2019 for 6 months and made about $200 per month. I had to get to part time jobs to pay my rent ($900/month) to live in a 3 bedroom apartment. I should have saved more and its incredible had to get a full-time job there. Not impossible but knowing Danish is a plus along with going to an ivy league school. 

There is a union there that you can fight against if you are unfairly paid but without being an EU resident you can't use this leverage. Good luck! - Its defiantly tough but a great experience. 

The bonus is you get lunches as apart of your salary and sometimes you can take home the extra! But I will say I ate carrots and rice many days when I lived there haha. Saving money before you go is a must. Its not impossible to get a full-time job you just have to learn the culture. CVs there and networking is not the same as the US so you will figure out the learning curve.

Sep 4, 22 11:41 am  · 
 · 
gual

If you are able to stay longer than the typical 6 months you could inquire about the company's policy for extensions. Some firms pay more if/when you sign on for an extension, which makes the terms more acceptable (but you will probably need a cushion of money to get through the first contract). It is also much easier to get a reasonable rent after you have arrived and can visit apartments in person. So you can land, stay in a short-term rental for a month, and hunt around for a good deal.

Sep 4, 22 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: