Archinect
anchor

Architecture or dentistry ???

Hey everyone !

My name is Vince and I'm an architecture major at Parsons the school of design. I chose architecture because I've always like precision, drawing and 3D model making for basically anything. Last summer I interned in an Italian architecture studio and quite frankly it was fun I liked the people and the kind of projects they were working on. However, over time I realized all the legal issues they had to deal with and how money was still such a big issue even after several years of studying and working so hard. All the other professions (Law, med) that required this much qualification pay better and when you get out of school its easier to find jobs.

Dentistry requires students to have completed a bachelors prior to attending dental school so I'm not wasting time while taking this major but I'm thinking ahead already.

I've been in school for two semesters now and it gets even more intense next year and here comes the conflict. I realized dentistry was a good alternative after this bachelor in architecture because it involves working wit my hands which I like and also being precise 3 dimension- ally and on the plus side dentist a really well off compared to architects. Plus dentist get way better vacations and can spend time with their families and have a "life". I like architecture but I don't want to be consumed over time by work that doesn't even reward in the sense that I can enjoy time with my loved ones and invest in other things I like. Wether I choose to finish in dentistry or architecture both professions are hard to accomplish but only one gives me time and resources to actually have a life and travel and explore other things with my close ones.

Bottom line is this ... I don't mind the hard work, I just want it to be fruitful in the future.

Should I finish in architecture or should I pursue dentistry after my bachelors?

Apr 8, 19 9:59 pm
Non Sequitur

So... you're 2 semesters deep and you already feel you know enough about the profession to jump ship into something completely unrelated?  If architecture is too hard, then why not? Go play in gross mouths and fix rotten teeth instead while you continuously convince yourself that it's equivalent 3D precision work.

Sure, likely you'll make more cash since everyone needs a dentist while very few actually need an architect. But if it's pay and vacation you're after, why not just find any random government office job instead?  

Apr 8, 19 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Check out civil engineering. It is a stable, well-paying job. There are lots of positions available with city, county and state governments that offer good salaries and benefits (such as dedicated pension plans) that you will never get in architecture. I cannot imagine becoming a dentist but I can imagine wanting a good career with a decent quality of life. 

Apr 9, 19 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Getting into dental school requires a bunch of prerequisites that you may not be able to get at Parsons, such as 2 or 3 semesters of chemistry with labs, 2 or 3 semesters of physics, and advanced math.  Nothing wrong with Parsons - it's a great design school - but it's not at all geared toward preparing one for dental school, and doesn't really have a lot of offerings in science and math.  I know they have consortium agreements with some other universities, so maybe you could get the pre-reqs that way, but would they really fit in your schedule as an architecture student?  In the later years your studio courses will probably get more intense and leave even less time for electives - so if dentistry is really the direction you're headed you may want to re-think your undergrad plan.

I'd suspect that if you really want to finish your design degree at Parsons and then go on to dental school you'd need to supplement with at least a year of additional undergrad study.  I know that there are universities that offer that year for people who want to go to med school but didn't have a pre-med focus as undergrads - a program like that would probably work for dental school too.

Apr 9, 19 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Vince213

I'm already taking several calculus and Physics classes during my summers at Columbia so some of those credits are already addressed in my schedule. However that is not my concern, I just want to know if I should keep going into architecture in my Masters or move into dentistry.

Apr 9, 19 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

a medical profession more closely related to architecture is proctology 

Apr 9, 19 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Key word: Smegma

Apr 9, 19 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: