Archinect
anchor

Working for a construction firm

masochist

Hi ,

I currently work for a small residential architecture firm in NYC. I love the building/ coordination part of it more than the nitty gritty of design. I am working towards getting licensed. I want to eventually be on my own but before that I was thinking working with a design build firm to get a better experience about construction.

How i working for a G.C?

Thank you.

Apr 4, 19 3:45 pm
Rusty!

You are using "design build" and "general contractor" interchangeably. That's like ordering rum and coke and getting a glass of coke. 

What kind of experience are you looking to gain? 

Apr 4, 19 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
masochist

Hmm you are correct. I want to veer towards construction management.  Can anyone shed light on working for a construction firm? Please?

Apr 4, 19 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Try constructionect.com

Apr 10, 19 11:39 am  · 
 · 
arch76

When I work on design/build projects, I sometimes feel like I work for a construction firm. Have you considered dipping your toes into commercial d/b from the design side just to get a peak behind the curtain?

Apr 4, 19 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
masochist

Thanks that's a great suggestion.

Apr 4, 19 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
TL44

Do you have all your hours for licensure? You probably know this, but you can only get so many hours without a licensed person on staff, which would likely not be the case at a GC, so d+b would be the way to go. 

Working for a GC can be great in the right company and market, but be ready to have zero role in the design if you go that route. 

Apr 5, 19 10:16 am  · 
 · 
masochist

Yes , I do .Yay.

Apr 5, 19 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I work for a GC. The people are more down to earth. The pay is better. They aren’t as broke so things like office snacks, lunches, license fees ect. they will spot without blinking an eye. And yes I do regularly design things but in a technical role. It’s generally more along the lines of getting a bad design element and figuring out how to actually build it. The hours are a bit longer with some more stress but personally beats the monotonous mental agony of drafting all day every day.

Apr 5, 19 11:19 am  · 
 · 
masochist

I am very happy to hear something positive ( was not expecting honestly). Do you see women in a higher position there ?

Apr 5, 19 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I have worked primarily in a design/build role (sometimes builder, sometimes designer), but also as a builder for outside architects and as a designer for other builders. If the building side of things appeals to you, you might as well explore it. I break it down as design/architecture=planning, and construction=execution of a building project. If you understand the process from multiple angles you will likely be more effective in whatever role you choose.

There is always room for more women in construction, perhaps with more outdated mindsets to overcome than in some other fields, but many builders strive to stand out by being progressive. 

Apr 5, 19 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
masochist

thank you. how are your hours like, do u work late ?

Apr 6, 19 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

When I was an employee I worked pretty normal hours, 40-50 per week, rarely working on weekends. Now I'm self-employed and work insane hours, but somewhat by choice (and largely due to making too many commitments).

Apr 7, 19 10:53 am  · 
 · 
masochist

OK, thank you!! Congrats on being on your own. That would be my ultimate goal, but I don't have the social network to get clients.

Apr 8, 19 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It takes time and effort to build up a network. I don't have a great social network but I have a strong professional network, who direct potential clients to me. If you can prove your value you will find that it's not that hard, but you have to make it something that you force yourself to do. In fact I think it's important to build a network even if you don't plan to be self-employed. Just join a group that interests you and go from there.

Apr 8, 19 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
masochist

Thanks woodguy!! I fall on the minority regarding gender & race ! Also age another factor , I am not old but getting there. So need to make practical decisions here.

Apr 8, 19 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
deanpegal

That would be a great option for you to work for a design build firm and best of luck for your own upcoming business and When you have your own business please, let us know how is everything going with your business. Thank you

Apr 9, 19 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: