Archinect
anchor

ADVICE for job searching as Licensure Candidate very near Licensure

likestomath.goodatdraw

Hi all.

I am considering making the same move I’m told so many of us young aspiring architects make - moving from one city to another in the hopes of seeing new things and advancing my career. I’m nearly two years graduated with a BArch, I’ve been working at the firm I’m at currently since graduating. I’m on track for Licensure likely before end of 2019. I’ve passed all my exams. I have more hours to finish to complete AXP requirements.  

For personal reasons I plan to move in the summer of 2019 before the filling all AXP hour requirements. 

However, I find myself straddling an important benchmark, and I can’t say clearly that there’s one job title I know to look for. How do I market myself as someone very close to Licensure? Can I look for job titles as Architect 1 or such with the expectation that it will be very soon before I get my license? In the case of common job search descriptors, am I an “entry-level” or “mid-level” candidate? Do years of experience also include summer internships? ( I wouldn’t think so, it seems kind of grabby to me).

Side note: I enjoy the firm I’m at, I just find life changing in a way that makes sense for this move. My goal for any future job is to take on more responsibility. I have been able to quickly get involved in project management and delivery in the firm I work at now, and I would like to continue the upward trend of engagement and personal responsibility for good projects that makes Architecture soexciting.

Thanks much for any help you all could give. 

Apr 2, 19 9:42 am
senjohnblutarsky

Apply for the job you want.  If it's the licensed position, make it clear where you stand relative to licensure. 

If you end up having to apply for lower positions, find out what your upward mobility with that firm will be.  

Apr 2, 19 10:54 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

You can indicate in a prominent location on your resume or in the cover letter that you have passed all exams and are x hours away from completing AXP.  I was in a similar position years ago, and that helped a lot.  

In today's market, I think a lot of people will be willing to consider you for a licensed-level position.  Just be prompt about completing AXP and applying for your license upon taking the job.

Apr 2, 19 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

job titles vary between firms; mostly focus on jobs looking for 2-3 years experience and a b.arch min. most listings note these expectations clearly along with software skills. normally this experience only refers to full time work post graduation. this early in a career it's unlikely any job would expect you to have much beyond general skills.

note clearly in your resume how close you are to licensure. it reflects favorably on your focus and self discipline to be on track for a license only a few years after graduating. these are both very valuable skills for jobs at any level.

Apr 2, 19 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: