Archinect
anchor

Changing careers from Architecture to something else.

Savannah Smit

I have studied an undergraduate Architecture degree. I have worked at Architecture and heritage based firm for one year. I still need to do my Master’s degree in Architecture; however I am considering changing career fields. I enjoy the creative, concept making and artistic side to Architecture. I also enjoyed seeing sites and clients. I didn’t enjoy being in front of the computer the entire day or the rigidity of building design as much. So instead of doing a post graduate degree in Architecture, I would rather do another Master’s degree that will allow me to enter into another career path. I have considered fields such as Landscape Architecture as it’s more fluid and is based on nature. It could also potentially allow me to go straight into the master’s degree. I am also looking into MBA, project management, environmental/ sustainable design fields and Fine Art fields.

I am searching for some advice on possible Master’s degrees and Universities that I could get into with a degree in Architecture, as well as other career options outside of pure Architecture. I am open minded about changing career fields and would also consider other fields that I have not listed.

Mar 28, 19 10:21 am
Volunteer

Have you looked into industrial design or graphic design or interior design? Check out Snohetta's website. They do lots of things other than architecture.

Mar 28, 19 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

You may want to check our series "Working Out of The Box", profiling individuals who have transitioned from architecture to successful careers in other industries.

Mar 28, 19 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Intern and take jobs in a few different areas. Live at home and do part time and self study if possible. DONT getva masters in something you haven’t worked in the field at all.

Mar 28, 19 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

*Dont get

Mar 28, 19 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: