Archinect
anchor

Bjarke Ingels Group Internship for less than 6 months?

jordanmattkim

So I'm doing an interview with BIG Copenhagen office next week about an internship(design assistant) starting this summer, the minimum is 6 months, however i will only be available for 3.5 months maximum. Do I still do the interview? Or do I mention it after we finish the interview and see if we can negotiate some terms to cut it down to 3 or 4 months? Or is it possible that i ask to do 6 months in London instead since that's where i will be able to do it for 6 months.

The reason I would even ask is because I've seen some of my connections on LinkedIn did it for just 4 months or less on the same position.

Thanks a lot for your input!!!!! 

Cheers.

Mar 10, 19 3:55 pm
Non Sequitur

ask for 6month's worth of pay for only 4 month's worth of work.  

Mar 10, 19 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
jordanmattkim

yea no

Mar 10, 19 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why not, at least you'd get closer to minimum wage.

Mar 10, 19 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Just bring it up, they don't care...your replacement will just start 2.5 months earlier.

Mar 10, 19 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
saqibm7575

Be completely transparent, during the interview or even sent an email prior to going in for the interview. 

I was in this situation few weeks ago, I received Job offers from my 3 top firms I would like to work for, however, I'm also awaiting results for my M.Arch. Receiving job offers few weeks before M.Arch decisions are sent out was very stressful as I had to decide between working for my dream firms or continuing my graduate school education. But I told them how it is through an email before I went in for the interview and all three firms were very understanding and were able to accommodate me in some where. I was hired on an contract position at one of firms and can continue to do so while still going to school. 

That said, I think you are in much better position than I was, especially if you know "connections" that have done a shorter internship previously. Just be upfront and sincere about it, sending a email or calling prior to the interview shows that you respect their time and don't want to waste it if you are not the right fit for the position.  

Hope this helps, good luck!

Mar 10, 19 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
jordanmattkim

Thank you so much for your information man! I'm currently a third-year undergrad, so I definitely only have summer time(3 months) plus possible 4 months study abroad in London if they are okay with placing me in London office (because this interview is supposed to be for Copenhagen office).

And also I have no contact information to the interviewer at all, there is only a signup list for interview slot. so I cant possibly let them know beforehand, maybe mention it at the beginning of the interview?

Mar 10, 19 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
saqibm7575

Than mentioning during the interview would be your best bet. Considering this is an internship, I think they be more open and accommodating to your situation. Mentioning in the beginning might not be a good idea. The beginning of the interview should be used to express that you are the person for the position and also the position is right for you... simply put(cliché) you must start with a good (amazing ) first impression. Let them get to know you and get to know them, and once the tension of the interview has eased a bit, let them know. A good firm, I believe BIG is one of them (when I say good, I mean they value their employees), will almost always overlook technicalities (skills and experience) if they find the applicant that fits into the cultural of the firm and office. I have been hired by a firm when I had 0 experience over people with +5 year of experience... during the interview with the principle of the firm, I was extremely upfront about my no experience and she didn't care about that even though the job description required 5 years of experience. Be honest, humble, and sincere always... it does go a long way!!!

Mar 10, 19 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
jordanmattkim

Great advice my mate !!!! Thank you so much!

Mar 11, 19 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
saqibm7575

Best of luck!!!!

Mar 11, 19 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
burakergül

I hope everything will be best for you! Being an intern at BIG is my dream too man! Can you tell me how did you managed to take their attention on you? Is your cv and portfolio is awesome or what? Please contact me about that. I am little bit desperate about finding a good place to spend time before graduating. Best.

Mar 12, 19 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
sikutengkasi

Hi there, 

I am thinking of applying this job in London or Copenhagen, just wondering how much was the salary? Also, did you figured out if you can do less months?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 19 8:50 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Didn't know BIG offered group slavery...

Dec 23, 19 11:33 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

was going to apply too, then I realized I’d rather punch myself in the balls repeatedly while listening to Justin beiber 

Dec 23, 19 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

you could do those at the same time

Dec 25, 19 12:50 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Multi tasking. I like it.

Dec 25, 19 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
d.preranajain

I hope everything went well 

Being an intern at BIG is my dream too.

Can you tell me how did you manage to get there?

Is your cv and portfolio is awesome? what kind of portfolio do they accept?

what should you put in ur portfolio that attracts them. what syle of render attracts the 

please guide me by few words so that even I achieve my dream 

Jan 31, 21 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Friends don’t let friends work for low wages at BIG. Go to another firm and get real experience. 

Jan 31, 21 6:53 pm  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

I don't know, I have observed that people in flyover country USA will fall all over themselves to hire you if you have BIG on your resume.  People will give you major opportunities because you cut some blue foam for Bjarke while mum & pop paid your NYC living expenses.

Feb 1, 21 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

Then after working at the firm for 9 months you'll be out of a job because you don't know a damn thing.  That or you'll keep cutting blue foam for $15 an hour . . .

Feb 1, 21 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Sometimes they could find a good position as the resident stylist at a firm where design and production are done by seperate teams. The technical staff try to realize what the resident stylist comes up with.

Feb 1, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

I did that for around eight years. It's fun but also leaves a huge gap in your skillset and makes you unmarketable during a recession.

Feb 1, 21 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: