Archinect
anchor

Sheathing options to cover corrugated metal siding for urban penthouse

lebowski

We are working on a rooftop project in New York and are looking for a sheathing option to cover some rather unattractive corrugated metal siding. Since the corrugated metal siding is still functional, the building engineer for the condo will not permit the client to remove and replace with all new siding. We are going for a very clean, modern look. Has anyone worked with any sheathing options that can be applied on top of the existing siding? Any other thoughts or suggestions to improve the aesthetics? We also considered installing a metal or ipe fence, but we are not enthusiastic about creating additional penetrations in the roof membrane.

Thanks!

Mar 4, 19 1:03 pm
Non Sequitur

What does your architect have to say about this?

Mar 4, 19 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Well... my feelings are hurt.  My house is covered in that corrugated metal (mine is brown, and is mixed with brick). 

But now I know it's ugly.  I'll be awaiting suggestions on how I can fix this. 

As an actual answer, this is a silly question.  It's exposed fastener siding.  Why would you need to cover it with anything?  Take out the fasteners.  Apply new siding.  It's not complicated. 

Mar 4, 19 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the condo p.eng is refusing the replacement of the corrugated sheathing, for some reason... probably because this "client" does not own that part of the building eyesore. I'd consider painting it hot pink.

Mar 4, 19 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That metal siding really ties the roof together...

Mar 4, 19 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
lebowski

randomised, that is too funny. I almost fell out of my chair. 

As for removing the siding completely, non sequitor is correct that the mechaninical bulkhead is part of the condo common element, and any alterations/improvements need to be approved by the building engineer. Whenever siding that predates the 1980s is removed, there is also concern for ACM.  

Mar 4, 19 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
lebowski

Mr. Blutarsky: Zero point zero!

Mar 4, 19 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: