Archinect
anchor

Issue between architects and contractors.

riokaaidid

Have you experienced any challenges or misunderstanding when working with a contractor for a building project? Please briefly describe the challenges.

If you are willing to share, which project have you worked on in your firm that has experienced many challenges and problems due to issues between architects and contractors?

What do you hope to resolve between you as the architect and the contractor when experiencing some issues?

Mar 4, 19 6:40 pm
( o Y o )

Management consulting starts at $500 / hr.

Mar 4, 19 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

There are near daily problems on all jobs. There is an intrinsic, insurmountable conflict of interest between parties. Contractors win jobs by over-promising control of budget. Architects over-promise on quality of delivered project. And this struggle can be described as soft science. If you could pinpoint when a specific assembly or system will turn to shit, then you could do some quick maths and argue in terms of life cycle costs. But it will always be subjective speculation. 

Best is to work on projects where no one gives a shit (especially the Owner). This is why working on public projects is the best. The MAGA wall may not turn out to be cheap or of even passable quality, but contractors and architects can lock hands in comradery coast to coast and sing Kumbaya all the way to the bank. 

Mar 4, 19 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

when is your homework due?

Mar 4, 19 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
riokaaidid

the end of this week. thanks for asking

Mar 4, 19 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cool, but this is not how you do research.

Mar 4, 19 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
riokaaidid

I understand your concern. I am just gaining inputs from different experiences just to witness the similarities and differences people can get. I did make a questionnaire regarding this topic, but in case the questionnaire could not get sufficient responses I thought using a forum page might be helpful.

Mar 4, 19 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i definitely think you should include rusty's comments about not giving shit making things easier

Mar 4, 19 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Nope. 

Mar 4, 19 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The challenge is simply to get built what is drawn and to draw what is to get built, no need to overcomplicate things.

Mar 5, 19 3:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: