Archinect
anchor

Window Flashing and Means/Methods of Construction

tomsmith18555

I have this question out to my insurance carrier, but wondering what the opinion of the masses are on how to best handle:

Long story short, the GC is installing residential windows in single family house (renovation) in a manner than is appears to be outside the requirements of the building code for flashing requirements. R703.4 of the IRC allows 3 methods of window/door flashing compliance:

1. In accordance with the window manufacturers installation guide
2. In accordance with the design or method of a registered design professional
3. In accordance with other approved methods

My opinion is that #1 is clearly not being met. GC will not comment one way or another. Do you think I am able to issue judgement on whether the installation guide was followed?

GC is obviously not pursuing #2.

When pressed for more information about #3 (ie, "what approved method are you utilizing"), he will only answer, "I have 30 years of experience."

Work has proceeded and the GC has been clear that he isn't going to change any work. I've requested the window manufacturer rep to visit the site, which he promised me he would... and now has been ghosting my calls/emails for the past 10 days. I was hoping to address directly with the GC, but it's clear that's no longer possible. The owner knows I have concerns, but I have yet to give them anything definitive (was waiting on window rep).

Thoughts? I am getting a lot of "young man, I know what I'm doing" and this is resonating with the owner more than it should. GC is complaining that this is a means and methods issue and I am overstepping my role and directing his work. I don't see any method at all to the installation (no sill flashing, WRB wrapped into head of RO, no additional exterior flashing, window not installed flush with substrate, no sealant, the list goes on) and see this as a slam dunk case in my opinion.

I need some advice about how to manage this. Right now my opinion is to tell the owner I don't consider this acceptable work, but it's up to them if they want to take the direction of the GC with regards to his method of compliance. Obviously the fact that this is a residential project (GC not used to working with architect, not a lot of clear protocols in place, not a savvy owner, etc) is complicating matters.

It's late and I'm very annoyed -- sorry if this isn't clear or if I sound whine-y. I am transitioning into the residential world from a well tuned GC-Owner-Architect relationship where this sort of thing would never happen. I just don't understand how anyone remotely thinks this is acceptable. xoxo

Mar 4, 19 7:26 am
Non Sequitur

I’ve rejected better installations than that. Put your foot down and demand it done as per your design or else you need to issue a non compliance letter stating that this particular window is omitted from your review scope. This way, when it leaks, you have a paper trail to slap the lawyers with. 

Mar 4, 19 7:34 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you're not using a commercial sill flashing detail on a nail fin window are you?  calling the window manufacturer is a good idea, but ultimately the GC is on the hook if it leaks.  he would have to go back and fix it.  if your detail is bad, he shouldn't install it wrong.

Mar 4, 19 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Show up with a hose and perform your own hose spray test. 

If wall insulation is only between the wall studs, that window will have major condensation problems in the future. If more insulation is meant to go outboard of air barrier, then it will be fine. It's lack of flashing that would be the only problem. 

Mar 4, 19 11:43 am  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Issue a non-compliance letter.  Manfacturer's instructions are referenced by code, therefore this is a code violation.  Your job IS to reject this work and you are the authority (architect of record).  Withhold on the pay application, threaten the performance bond (you'd made a claim to get someone in to perform the work properly).  Basically... you can't play nice.

Curtkram is right; the contractor is on the hook.  However, so is your reputation since buildings that fail aren't going to be a glowing reference. 

Mar 4, 19 11:45 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

That window install looks like shit. Looks like someone installed who didn't know what they were doing. I would try to not be adversarial about it at first. (If you can)Talk to the Owner as a trusted advisor not a crazy Architect (you know..  ego maniac trying to control every minute detail.) But ultimately you will have to not be nice if bo one will listen to you. 9I second the spray test. Have the owner there to watch and have the contractor set it. 

Explain to the Owner what consistant water intrusion can do to a structure over time. I would issue the letter of non compliance immediately. Don't need the window rep. Go to their website and there should be installation instructions that you can show the Owner and GC. Maybe even an install window video. 

Ask the questions. Why didn't you install flashing? Why is there no caulking? Why is the nailing fin not flush with the sheeting? How will the water stay out? ... Ok. Then let's throw a hose on it. 

Mar 4, 19 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

btw; beyond the flashing issues, the fasteners aren't using the slotted holes, which means that window can't handle thermal growth.  Resultant damages can be broken seals... and on big windows, I've seen the glass explode.

Mar 4, 19 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

That is a truly horrible window installation. I would just send the owner a letter stating that it doesn't meet any basic installation standards, and let them work it out. 

The problem with poorly-installed water management systems is that failure often doesn't show up for ten years; by that time the builder is long gone. 

Mar 4, 19 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: