Archinect
anchor

MLA Fall 2019 Applicants' Status

SaloneeChadha

Posting to find people in the same boat as me, applicant to MLA fall 2019. 

28/F/India

Undergrad -B.Arch 2013 GPA: 3.66

GRE: 154V 156Q 3.5A     TOEFL: 111

Rec Letters: 1 professor, 4 employers

Schools: Accepted at Upenn, Cornell ($ offered), UMass, BAC, awaiting RISD and GSD.

Portfolio: 2 Academic projects, 2 professional projects. 

Experience: 3 years work experience at a landscape design firm, currently assistant professor teaching B.Arch.

I applied to MLA II degrees. Currently struggling on how to finance the education... Any leads would help.. 

Feb 26, 19 10:53 am
pr_jct

Hi, 

I've also been accepted to UPenn and am awaiting decisions by the GSD and Berkeley.

I'm also struggling with how to finance the education. Not looking forward to negotiating terms if there are multiple options. What specifically are your financial challenges?

Feb 28, 19 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
SaloneeChadha

I got rejected at GSD. Got an email on 1st March about the status update.

Mar 4, 19 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
SaloneeChadha

My challenge is that I currently earn very less and will have to take a loan and fund the whole masters, which in colleges like upenn will be upwards of 1,00,000 $ including the tuition and living expenses. I am an international student so it’s really difficult for me . Also my husband will stay back in India and I’d have to live apart from him till I can finish and pay off the loan.

Mar 4, 19 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why take on such immense debt if you can't manage it? No M.arch is worth that kind of cash.

Mar 11, 19 10:37 am  · 
 · 
SaloneeChadha

That is true, and why I applied at BAC. I'm trying to get in touch with anyone who has graduated from BAC and is currently practising Landscape Architecture. The tuition is significantly lower than the other universities. Do you know anyone I can talk to about this?

Mar 11, 19 10:43 am  · 
 · 
proximity

"I’d have to live apart from him till I can finish and pay off the loan. "

That's 10 years minimum.

Mar 11, 19 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
SaloneeChadha

love v/s architecture...story of our lives..

Mar 11, 19 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
dharmikshah

I have few questions and would be really helpful if you guys replied to this. I have got an accept from Upenn but then got a reject because of my GPA not satisfying the basic needs. I am a recent passed out architect and have applied to MLA programs. I want to ask which is a better uni for MLA ? Austin texas or UIUC? I even wanted to ask if I stayed back for a year in india and applied with only 6 month work ex can I get into big uni which will cover up my GPA? Please help.

Mar 21, 19 1:32 am  · 
 · 
dharmikshah

I have few questions and would be really helpful if you guys replied to this. I have got an accept from Upenn but then got a reject because of my GPA not satisfying the basic needs. I am a recent passed out architect and have applied to MLA programs. I want to ask which is a better uni for MLA ? Austin texas or UIUC? I even wanted to ask if I stayed back for a year in india and applied with only 6 month work ex can I get into big uni which will cover up my GPA? Please help.

· 
ard_92

Anyone heard from Berkeley yet? Surprised at the radio silence on their end...

Mar 11, 19 9:10 am  · 
 · 
SaloneeChadha

Haven't applied there... any other schools you've applied to?

Mar 11, 19 10:26 am  · 
 · 
cranberry

I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet either.

Mar 11, 19 11:27 am  · 
 · 
dezeener

I am still religiously checking my email on this one...

Mar 11, 19 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
ethanhunt

i have given up on berkeley now. Its has been dead silent after being hyper active around 2nd week of feb

Mar 13, 19 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
3mzig

Has anyone who applied to MLA specifically heard from them at all? I find it weird they haven't even posted an update to the system by now.

Mar 13, 19 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
dezeener

Some people have been accepted in their first round of processing for funding and everything.

Mar 13, 19 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
dharmikshah

· 
cranberry

Any insight on UT vs. RISD (offering $) vs. USC (offering more $)?

Anyone else considering these schools?

Mar 11, 19 11:32 am  · 
 · 
SaloneeChadha

I am considering RISD. From what I have gathered, the school has an artistic bend ( which personally is not very well aligned with my interests in the field of landscape), but I do hear it a rising name in the community. It is one that has offered me the most scholarship yet, but it still an expensive school.

Mar 11, 19 11:41 am  · 
 · 
ethanhunt

I'm considering USC. Which program are you in?

Mar 12, 19 9:16 am  · 
 · 
ethanhunt

@salonee finance is difficult. I'm coming from India as well and USC has a good program. They are offering some aid but that still sums up to much more than 100,000.

Have you got anything planned yet?

Mar 12, 19 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Megz271093

25/F/India

Undergrad -B.Arch 2016 GPA: 7.9/10

IELTS-8/9

Rec Letters: 1 professor, 1 employer

Schools: Accepted at Georgia, University of Sheffield, shortlisted at NUS, awaiting Edinburgh 

Portfolio: 2 Academic projects, 3 professional projects. 

Experience: 3 years work experience at a landscape design firm

Trying to decide between Sheffield and Edinburgh at the moment. 

Mar 16, 19 5:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: