Archinect
anchor

Location independent architecture

Superfluous Squirrel

Does anyone have any ideas on practicing architecture as a digital nomad? Or is anyone living this way right now? I'd like to keep working in architecture but travel more, or ideally, not be tied down anywhere. 

Some ideas I've had:

I can imagine a fim probably exists somewhere that would let me remotely. Either all the time or some combination of time in the office and time from home. I would probably be stuck doing production or spec writing, definitely nothing client facing. 

Platforms like freelancer or upwork have some architecture postings. Although chasing work like that is probably hard and the clients probably suck. 

Selling floor plans? I know some websites host plan sales but do enough people buy them to make a living?

Architecture copywriting? I know enough buzzwords to write a blurb for your small shop.

Something design related like graphic design or website design. I don't really have the computer skills for either of those but it wouldn't be too hard to learn. 

Any other possibilities?

Feb 25, 19 6:41 pm
tduds

When I was job hunting in 2014 I came across a couple firms that were open to working remotely. Typical arrangement was an onboarding period in-office (30-90 days) and then you're on your own.

Don't know how common it is, but they exist.

Feb 25, 19 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Superfluous Squirrel

Its nice to know they do exist, so thats an option.

Feb 27, 19 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Can the travelling be work related, just for fun or both?

Feb 26, 19 4:02 am  · 
 · 
Superfluous Squirrel

I wouldn't mind traveling for work. I worry it would be to the same place all the time though. And then I would be tied down to two different places.

Feb 27, 19 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I tried to get a side hustle working for a guy who has a remote practice, but I think he currently doesn't have enough work for all of his employees.  From our emailing back and forth, it sounded like he is does all of the CA/client interaction, and only takes on what he can handle overseeing.  He has teams of people that work remotely that do the production work for him.  He gives his project managers the big design ideas, and they coordinate draftsmen to provide the documents.  The work was not my taste, but it would've been fun doing something out of the ordinary and with much less pressure.  

Feb 27, 19 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

bump. This topic is much more important now. We need digital nomad in architecture 

Jul 13, 22 12:30 am  · 
 · 
WFHgoals
There are firms that allow flexible work schedules, including fully remote positions. After feeling totally burned out and abused in my previous positions I sought out exactly the type of firm you’re looking for. I accepted that I’m not going to lead high design projects any more, but that level of stress just no longer seemed worth it to me. Firms that innately trust their employees and allow them to have their lives and still get work done are going to flourish in these times. Dinosaurs who want to stand over everyone’s desk from 7am-7pm every day are dying.
Jul 13, 22 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I work with an old employee who I would describe as a digital nomad,  she has lived and worked for me for 10 years while traveling and probably 8-9 years before that in my office.  She has lived in Portugal, Sweden, Costa Rica, Brazil, Chile and a few places in North America.  Key aspect is that I trust her, skills / experience, knows our office set up and standards, has access to our server and is diligent about schedule and timelines.  She works as a contracted worker ( not employee ) and has many other projects for other clients around the world.  Great gig for her and it gives me the ability to load her up with work when the office is at capacity.  Works best with more straightforward projects that don't require a lot of fussy one on one meetings between ourselves and consultants etc.  Typically better when she is in the same time zone too.

I wouldn't work with anyone else who hasn't worked with us before.  I tried contract workers years ago and it was a total fail.  Zoom and conference software has greatly improved our ability to work from remote locations

Jul 14, 22 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Have you considered living in a van down by the river? I got a great contract gig doing some public speaking...

Jul 15, 22 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
kenchiku

A number of my friends are working fully remote and loving it. The firm I work at allows for remote but I feel I still have a lot to learn by being in the office so I am not planning to work remote for a few more years at least. We do have flex hours and anyone can chose to wfh on whim which is fantastic.

Jul 16, 22 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: