Archinect
anchor

Entry level - Big vs Small Firm

ff9208

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some advice from all of you experienced architects in the U.S. 

I have gotten a few job offers already to start working after graduating in May. Three of them are from small(ish) firms (20-30 employees), and one is from a large multi-national. 

If salaries/benefits are comparable, can you help me weight the pros and cons of small vs. big firms? For exmple, would working in a large firm make it easier to upgrade to a better job latter? Or, would working on a small firm help me work on a variety of projects instead of getting pigeon holed? Etc. 

I am personally more interested in the smaller firms, it seems like day-to-day life is just friendlier and even more productive. However, it is early in my career and I would sacrifice my comfort if it meant a better career move in the long run. 

Thank you all

Feb 25, 19 5:16 pm
thisisnotmyname

You need to figure out which place will offer you the best learning environment and go there.  There is so much you were not taught in school and will have to learn on the job.   The quality of the learning opportunity does not always correlate with firm size and is much more important at this point in your career.

Feb 25, 19 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Totally depends on the firms in question. Did you approach those firms or did they contact you? 

Feb 26, 19 4:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: