Archinect
anchor

New job: Importance of Licensure vs. Experience

aero7687

Short question: I’m considering exploring new job opportunities, and my biggest question is: how important is licensure, in comparison to experience?

Context:

Since graduation, I’ve been working at the same firm for about 5.5 years. I’ve been provided the opportunity to a varied workload, including design work, drafting/detailing, programming, and client interaction, among other responsibilities. I like to think my skills are well-rounded, and I know the firm’s principals hold me in high regard.

Without getting into too much detail, current circumstances at work have me tempted to start exploring the market. I’m typically not one to get stressed out from work/project deadlines, but I’ve felt really spread thin for the last year plus and received little help, even after bringing it to the attention of others on multiple occasions.

I think I’ve had a wealth of experience to this point, but my chief concern in moving on is my lack of significant progress toward licensure. I’ve admittedly slacked in logging hours, over the years, and I’ve only completed one exam. Assuming I can provide a strong representation of my professional work, should I expect licensure to hold me back in finding a similar role at another firm? 

Feb 19, 19 12:54 pm
thisisnotmyname

In the current busy climate, you should be ok.  People need employee butts in seats to do all of the work that's out there.  However, some may use your status as an excuse to not pay you as much as they might have otherwise.  Expect a few a-holes will aggressively needle you about "why don't you have a license??" when you interview.

You do need to get back on track, though.   You lack of a license is going to inhibit your advancement and earning potential more and more as time goes on.   There is a subset of firm owners who don't care about the license status of their workers, but I wouldn't bank on spending my whole career in such places.

Feb 19, 19 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
aero7687

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on getting back on track in the near future.

Feb 19, 19 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I wouldn't worry about it. At least you are showing progress. It used to be that the average number of years to get licensed was over 10 so 5.5 isn't going to raise any eyebrows. Log your hours. You will regret it if you don't. Just do it.

Feb 19, 19 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
aero7687

Yes, I've heard the 'regret it later' part. Unfortunately, I still fell into the trap. Thanks for the feedback.

Feb 19, 19 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

The lack of a license probably isn't going to stop you from finding a job, and shouldn't be a reason to hold you back from moving on now, if that seems best for you.  But...

In some firms the lack of a license will limit the roles you can have, because of established policies of the firm and/or its insurers and clients.  For example some insurers do not want the title "Project Manager" (or anything else with "manager" or other words implying authority) attached to anyone unlicensed, or for unlicensed people to do any in-the-field CA on their own.  For some types of public projects in some states (particularly those with QBS processes) everyone who is included in the proposal effectively needs to be licensed in that state - so lack of a license can relegate you to a behind-the-scenes role, and make you less useful to the firm in going after projects.

A more subtle issue is that if you're not yet licensed when you're hired, many employers and coworkers will perpetually view you as young/inexperienced even once you do get the license.  This is a reason that a lot of people jump ship once they do get licensed - because then they can start a new job as a licensed professional and not have that struggle to break out of being viewed forever as an intern.

Feb 19, 19 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
aero7687

Thanks for the feedback. There's a lot of helpful info and considerations in there. Much appreciated.

Feb 19, 19 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

kjdt's response is well thought out and very true; the latter in particular. I'm in NYC and some firms do not care at all, others do. As one old boss once told me upon licensure: it just notes a minimal competency; experience is more valuable, but not everyone sees it that way and/or will use it as a bar to sort out employees. Worked with plenty of 20yr+ folks without license that have more knowledge and competency than their licensed counterparts, they had trouble in some firms being recognized for it though.

Feb 21, 19 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Where are you located? There are probably people posting here needing someone just like you.  

We can't find anyone. 

Feb 19, 19 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

Job market is really strong, you'll be alright. I have about the same amount of experience and got licensed in about 10 months, stop slacking! 

Feb 21, 19 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: