Archinect
anchor

Duolingo Certificate test request from Harvard

ritarepulsa

Hi!

I just received an email from GSD admission office saying that I should take a Duolingo Certificate test no later than 11:59 PM (Boston time) on February 12, 2019 to help the committee.

I am an international applicant to mdes in history and philosophy program and submitted a toefl score of 98 (R:29 L:29 S:20 W:20). The minimum score required was 94.

Anybody else received such request? Any idea why they ask for another score?

Feb 10, 19 5:07 am
flatroof

Some international students pay others to take the TOEFL for them. They want to check if you're legit.

Feb 10, 19 9:53 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

I'm currently applying to MDes Technology and didn't get any notification. I did however attached (as part of supporting documents) my Duolingo test score and a written letter/certification from my university that English was our language of instruction just for the extra push. Duolingo is easy, cheap, and quick! You get your results in 2 days.

Feb 10, 19 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

thanks for the replies! 

i guess they just wanted to double check since my score make people think that two different people took the exam

Feb 11, 19 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Archism

What is your first language?

Feb 19, 19 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Archism

Sometimes they want to know how you perform in English, so they ask for this test to have a better understanding of your pronunciation and your performance in front of camera!

Feb 19, 19 3:19 am  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

I few a few first languages, some balkan and turkish. people usually say i sound scottish o_0

Feb 19, 19 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Archism

Cool, I like Scottish! what was your Duolingo score? I just want to know how it compares with TOEFL since you got 98 in Toefl. I am planning to take it in the future and curious to see what score can a person with 98 in Toefl get in Duolingo?

Feb 19, 19 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

I scored 92 in Duolingo. It is a very simple test except the video interview section where i am asked to talk about genetically modified foods. -_-

Feb 20, 19 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Archism

Congratulation, that's a really good score. So do you know what is GSD's minimum requirement for Duolingo?

Feb 20, 19 9:25 am  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

thank you! they did not indicate any minimum score for Duolingo. but according to the comparison bar, 92 in Duolingo equals to 114 in Toefl, which is a bit weird. there is no way i score 114 in Toefl :))

Feb 20, 19 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

i have a few..

Feb 19, 19 6:51 am  · 
 · 
joonhaenglee

Hi Ritarepulsa,

I got a same request from GSD ( MDes Technology). I sent the test score in 2 days also.  Hope the test request is good news for us! 

Feb 25, 19 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

hey! thanks for the reply. I do hope that this is good news! may i ask, what are your toefl and duolingo scores?

Feb 26, 19 3:25 am  · 
 · 
joonhaenglee

TOEFL was 100(28/28/23/21), sadly Duolingo was 77. Which master course did you apply?

Feb 26, 19 4:22 am  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

I applied to mdes in history and philosophy of design and media. I don't think that i will get in but anyways..

Feb 26, 19 5:09 am  · 
 · 
Archism

Hi joonhaenglee. It seems like a good sign that you were asked for Duolingo test. Is your reading/Listening 28 in Toefl or speaking writing?

Also, I am curious to know what date exactly they asked you for Duolingo?

Feb 26, 19 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

hey, i guess you found a pattern here, what was your toefl score @Archism?

Feb 26, 19 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Archism

Currently my Toefl is 98. But I might wanna take the Duolingo in the future, and there is no clear description about the test and how it meets a school requirement. So I think since you guys seem more experienced on this, specially in terms of a school requirement, that would be really helpful and appreciated to share your experience and grades here with us!

Feb 26, 19 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Khuong Tran

Hi everyone,

I am Khuong. I am taking the Duolingo English test soon. Could you guys please give me some advice? I have tried the sample test in 15 minutes long. I got band 85-125, and I need above 110 for my application. Please tell me what to improve the score in DET?

Thank you very much.

Feb 21, 20 4:12 am  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

I got in! but they only offered 10k.

Feb 28, 19 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Archism

Congratulation @ritarepulsa! I got in too! Same $10K

Feb 28, 19 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

wow, congratulations to you too! 10 will not help me anyways :))

Feb 28, 19 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
joonhaenglee

haha, I got in too. it was a good sign!

Feb 28, 19 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

hey @joonhaenglee! congratulations!! you received any scholarship?

Feb 28, 19 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Archism

@ritarepulsa do you know how much is the tuition per semester without personal expenses and rent? I know the number is about $45 or $50, but I just don't know if it is for two semesters (one academic year) or only one semester?

Mar 1, 19 3:55 am  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

it seems like 50K is for the whole year.

Mar 4, 19 3:13 am  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

Hey! I got in MDes (Tech) too but zero scholarship offers. Waiting for ICD/ITECH but results won't be out til first or second week of April.

Mar 6, 19 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
architekkk

Hi @ritarepulsa or anyone, I am applying to GSD this year, do you have to take the english for design course in summer since your score falls below the preferred? My score also falls below the preferred score but I don't want to take the english for design course if possible. Please let me know. Thank you.

Oct 11, 19 7:55 am  · 
 · 
msomebody

Hi guys! Congratulations!

@Archism and @deathbydesign Do you guys mind sharing your portfolios and other stats wrt your application.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 11, 20 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
ritarepulsa

hey! anybody accepted the offer? how about the english for design course? how to get around it?

Apr 28, 19 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
architekkk

Hi @ritarepulsa or anyone, I am applying to GSD this year, do you have to take the english for design course in summer since your score falls below the preferred? My score also falls below the preferred score but I don't want to take the english for design course if possible. Please let me know. Thank you.

Oct 11, 19 7:55 am  · 
 · 
architekkk

Oct 11, 19 7:54 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

take the class

Oct 11, 19 8:13 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: