Archinect
anchor

Cover page is a different size, is that a problem?

Zhypronite282

In my frenzied state of trying to submit all my grad school apps on time, I realized that I neglected to resize my 11x17 cover page to match the content of 11x17 spreads I had combined into single 11x34 pages. Will this mistake have great bearing on my admissions? Harvard GSD asks that spreads be combined into single pages, and I became so focused on curating the content and submitting on time I stupidly forgot to resize before uploading.

Jan 30, 19 11:27 am
randomised

Yes, you'll be blacklisted now, have any hobbies or other interests that you can turn into a career?

Jan 30, 19 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ability to follow simple directions is key.  Better luck next year.

Jan 30, 19 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

This is what also confuses me, because there is no implicit direction stating that the pages have to be the same size. According to the Harvard GSD site, various portfolio formats are accepted, so it seems open to interpretation.

Jan 30, 19 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Sorry I meant explicit, not implicit

Jan 30, 19 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

how many times have you picked up a book with a different size cover page?

Jan 30, 19 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Cover is usually half size of a spread, sometimes a tiny bit bigger when hardcover.

Jan 30, 19 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

these portfolios are viewed on 15” screens, and you made your spreads 11”x34”? the fact that you didn’t even consider that your work will be seen at around 40% of its intended size is much more damning than the dumb cover page thing. 

no one is going to take the time to zoom in on every page of your portfolio; they’re just going to see that it’s way too small and reject it outright. 

Jan 30, 19 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

dumb question... but are all portfolios submitted digitally? Fuck, now I feel extra old thinking about all the effort I made coordinating paper stock and printer colours when finishing my portfolio.

Jan 30, 19 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, many schools no longer take paper submissions.

Jan 30, 19 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

This is a very humbling wake up call, thank you. I can only blame myself for doing this at the last minute and not looking over everything carefully. Thankfully I didn’t submit this portfolio format to each school, as some had their own specific page requirements which I followed. If I don’t get into any of my school choices, I can always reapply next year with a better portfolio.

Jan 30, 19 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It's unlikely to be the make or break thing. But even though schools are mostly not accepting paper portfolios anymore I still see people on the admissions committee who print out some or all of their assigned portfolios in each round - so you should not design a portfolio with the assumption that it won't be printed. Also individuals will view them on small monitors or even on a tablet (I do most of my portfolio review on the train), but here when it comes down to the final rounds the committee looks at them on a big screen in a conference room.  You really can't design for a certain viewing size.

Jan 30, 19 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

in this case it doesn’t even matter though. 11x34 is so stupidly wide and poorly proportioned that to properly view any images (or read any text at all), the reviewers will have to zoom in on every page, regardless of how big the screen is.

Jan 30, 19 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

not to mention that the OP has not given the most basic consideration to the portfolio’s audience. that kind of oversight speaks volumes about an applicant’s ability as a designer (and it’s not like the content is anything special either). this is not remotely on par with what will be accepted to the m.arch ii at the gsd.

Jan 30, 19 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Recommended File Set-up:
Pages: 30 max (Cover pages or table of contents don't count)
File Size: 40MB max
Page Layout: 12” x 18” or A3, two-page spreads should be combined into one page.

Jan 30, 19 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Correct me if I’m wrong but according to the GSD website, A3 (or
11x17) pages can be formatted as spreads, correct?

Jan 30, 19 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
crjiang

That's correct. I went to the open house in November and during the Q&A session they said that spreads were fine. Honestly the formatting probably won't hurt your chances very much if at all.

Jan 30, 19 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Phew, that’s a relief to hear, thanks for the helpful insight! I wanted to attend the open house but my work commitments prevented me from going sadly.

Jan 30, 19 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

this is just blatant false information. the spread (not each page) should be approximately 12x18 or A3. see how those proportions are reasonably similar to a computer screen? the individual pages should be closer to 12x9 or A4. you completely failed to follow the directions.

Jan 30, 19 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
proximity

Jchen I hope you get in with a full ride just because _place_beyond_the_splines is so hell bent on making everyone as unhappy as he is

Jan 30, 19 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Zhypronite282

Thanks for the support proximity and also to the other lovely posters who have defended me! I’ve seen his past comments and I just wonder what kind of sad, lonely life does one lead to just incessantly put down others online in order to feel better about themselves

Jan 30, 19 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
proximity

Agreed. It's not that format size is an unreasonable constructive criticism but to vehemently argue that it's a deal breaker is a little ridiculous. Maybe if you were teetering on the threshold of getting accepted vs rejected would the page size swing on way or another but in 95% of the cases I don't think someone who got accepted to the GSD (or any high end school) would get rejected if their page size was a more horizontal proportion. It's more about the work, your essay, recommendations, etc.

Admittedly if the text is unreadable without zooming, then I think that is going to be a negative as, credit where credit is do, Mr. Thesplines is correct that the committees aren't going to zoom in to read and if they can't read they're not going to understand some of your thought processes or motivations, but there are ways of putting these things in a constructive and helpful manner instead of intentionally trying to put people down as a coping mechanism for whatever issues you're dealing with on a personal level.

Good luck on your apps

Jan 30, 19 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

i'll be sure to pass all of this along to my colleagues that will be reviewing and rejecting you.

Jan 30, 19 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I hear Starbucks is hiring.  

Jan 30, 19 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

If your portfolio is great and you're a strong applicant I'm sure they will overlook it. 

Good Luck! 

Jan 30, 19 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Sounds like a design problem!

Jan 30, 19 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
bluesquare

how long does an adcom from the GSD usually take to look at a portfolio? (Meaning, do they actually read the text on it, etc)?

Jan 30, 19 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I can't say for the GSD. In my experience at other universities: in the early phases (when large numbers of applicants are culled out) the time that the committee spends on any one portfolio is in the range of zero to 1 minutes - and nobody's reading anything. But prior to those meetings the portfolios are circulated among the committee members, so some may have spent more time on them individually. In later phases, when it comes down to cutting pretty much equally good candidates - the ones that are a little less than must-haves but still very strong - that's when some get more attention - >5 minutes in some cases. You could look at it two ways: you don't really want to be one of the people we're scrutinizing that carefully - because it means you're on the edge. But, if you are on the edge then it might really matter what your text says.

Jan 30, 19 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: