Archinect
anchor

Working with foreign architecture licenses.

nekonin21

I've been working in Japan for a while, and have been thinking of getting licensed here (first as a second-class, then first-class registered architect). 

Although I understand the pros-cons of being licensed in Japan whilst working here, I was wondering how people's experiences are going to other countries with foreign licenses. Also,

>Is reciprocity common? 

>Do you feel like you start with a lower pay-grade?

To give some extra background, I graduated with a BA in architecture in the US. At the moment, I'm pretty off-put by the financial/time commitment of pursuing a masters degree. Working in Japan was the most convenient option for me to get real professional experience (which is working out well), however, I don't see myself being in Japan forever. 

Most job posts here seem to look for a "masters degree +  X years of professional experience". I'm hoping to compensate for the masters degree by being licensed, but I'm wondering what people's experiences are with employers. 

Thanks for any input!

Jan 14, 19 11:08 am
randomised

So, are you looking for a(nother?) job in Japan or simply looking to improve your situation at a current job by getting licensed?

Jan 14, 19 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: