Archinect
anchor

M.Arch + MBA

AS33

I am applying to graduate schools that are paired with strong MBA programs (YSoA, Penn, U Mich, and Wash U) because I am interested in a career at the intersection of architecture and development. How difficult is it to get accepted into an MBA program once admitted to the architecture school and attending for a semester? How difficult is it to take MBA coursework as "architecture electives" during the first year so that I do not have to stay for an additional semester from a late admittance? I am interested in applying for an MBA now but do not believe I have a strong enough grasp on my career goals and ambitions to fully commit towards an MBA. 

Jan 4, 19 4:59 pm
thisisnotmyname

Consider looking at a graduate level program in real estate development instead of the MBA.  A real estate development program would probably be more focused towards your interests.  I fear the MBA will require a lot of courses that would be of little interest or use to you.  There are probably some real estate development programs out there that you can do somewhat concurrently with an MArch.

Jan 4, 19 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdhuang94

Why do you want an MBA? MBA admissions is a completely different animal compared to MARCH admissions. YSoA, Penn, U Mich are one of the most competitive MBA programs to get into. WashU should be much easier. I would reach out to students at each program to see how difficult is it to cross register MBA coursework as an architecture student. There might just be a tight limit of like 2 courses.

What is your previous experience post undergrad? If you just want to do architecture and development, then you should look into Columbia's MARCH/MSRED program. An MBA/MARCH program is great if you want to open your own practice or want to go for a managerial role. And yes, there are MBAs with RE concentrations that will allow you to learn financial modeling to be able to underwrite a development project but you'd have to take outside electives in planning, construction and other courses integral to development. 

Yale and WashU are weak in the RE department. Michigan has a RE department but nowhere as good as UPenn Wharton's.

Again, tt really depends on your previous experiences. Happy to chat more given more info.

Jul 23, 20 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: