Archinect
anchor

US to Canada (Vancouver) under NAFTA

repsaj33

Hi all,

Long story short, I'm planning to relocate to Vancouver, BC this spring by way of a NAFTA temporary work permit. I may be pursuing permanent residency eventually, but this is perhaps a topic for another thread. I am a US citizen with a B.Arch from an accredited university in the US. 

Does anyone have any experience getting a temporary work permit in Canada under NAFTA? Is there a burden, financial or otherwise, I should be aware of that would dissuade an architecture firm from offering me a job? From my understanding this is the first step. 

Thanks and happy holidays! 

Dec 28, 18 5:32 pm
Bench

Look for the TN visa, you should be eligible with the degree. It’s very straightforward to get, very cheap, very fast (you get it at the boarder on the spot). 

However - you cannot pursue permanent residency with this visa. 

Dec 28, 18 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
repsaj33

Makes sense, thanks!

Jan 3, 19 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Just want to make sure you're aware of the financial burden of living in Vancouver. Amongst other things you might want to reflect on. 

1. Do you have a partner who's making good money? If not, prepare thyself for the hell that is Vancouver's rental market, because living on your own will be a bloody nightmare. 

2. Thinking about buying? You should be ready to lay down a cool 1 mil+ for a pile of asbestos with the roof caved in, in an ugly suburb featuring plastic-clad "vancouver specials" - if you're lucky.

3. Wages are 10% lower in Vancouver than anywhere else in Canada (barring Vancouver Island). Negotiate hard with your offer, because you're unlikely to get much of a raise or bonus over the years.

4. But what about the livability? My impression is that the city is living on an outdated reputation from 15-20 years ago. In place of friendly, environmentally conscious hippie types you'll find lots of fast luxury cars and infamously cold-shouldered (yet smug) locals, a ridiculous amount of traffic, and non-existent bike infrastructure. Only the rich can afford to live in areas that are walkable, and they still choose to drive.

5. Access to nature? We spend most weekends heading south across the border to get our fill of natural splendor - there are fewer, nicer people, better sights and tastier coffee. Here, you'll wait in traffic for hours to find a parking spot anywhere even remotely scenic for 11 months of the year (and you'll be lucky if it's not obscured by forest fire smoke or clouds).

6. Civic investment, urban design, landscape architecture and other kinds of public realm spaces are completely lacking. The city empties out on weekends as people drive out to pursue the perfect instagram selfie on top of over-crowded viewpoints, so there's limited culture, art, theatre, music in the city. 

I am trying really hard not to be overly negative, but it's difficult when the hype is so high and the reality is so low. I just want to prepare you - as an outsider - that Vancouver might not live up to your expectations (depending on what those are).

Dec 31, 18 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Yeah, that market in Vancouver is crazy. My cousin just bought a house by Surrey for about 700k and it is truly a dump.

Dec 31, 18 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Vancouver is nice to visit

Dec 31, 18 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Stephanie

From a departing flight, sure.

Dec 31, 18 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's nice if you're driving in from the east of the Rockies... then gtfo and see Seatle.

Dec 31, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

This is why I moved to Victoria. Similar climate, but a detached house is almost half the price, and traffic for the most part is quite light (unless heading to the suburbs out west).

Dec 31, 18 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

The Canucks won last time I was in Vancouver

Jan 2, 19 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
repsaj33

Thanks for this information!.

Jan 2, 19 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
repsaj33

Any redeeming qualities? 

To clarify, I'm currently living in NYC and do have some trepidation for the reasons stated above. 

I'm assuming Victoria is out of the range of public transportation, yes? I have a license but was hoping to forego getting a car. 

Jan 2, 19 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Honestly, if you already have the US license, you might reconsider going to Seattle instead and commuting the stamp to Washington state. Van's supposed to be really nice, and the friends who moved there all love it, but the money is a real issue. At least in NYC wages are still relatively good compared to cost of living.

Jan 3, 19 9:51 am  · 
 · 
repsaj33

Gotcha. I grew up in the Seattle area and, while it's nice, am not looking to go back.

Jan 3, 19 10:00 am  · 
 · 
repsaj33

Since we're on the topic, the catylist for moving to BC is that my girlfriend (a Philippine citizen) was granted residency in Canada, which wouldn't have been possible in the US. Despite it's economic challenges, Vancouver seemed like a reasonable compromise.

Jan 3, 19 10:16 am  · 
 · 
aundraelee

Lol. Is Vancouver also spelled S-E-A-T-T-L-E?

Jan 3, 19 1:37 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Every position is considered a "lifestyle job" it's a term commonly used in the resort industry where folks will work for less because the job is located in a great location with minimal perks, doesn't pay well, but affords you to reside (barely) in a location that has lots of available jobs.... almost like service workers for the development elite who are killing it at your loss.  

Oh and it rains a lot, but when it doesn't it's a beautiful city with tons jobs and lots of natural amenities, and you can buy your avocado toast on every street corner for $ 20.00. ..... It's basically a resort town for those that afford to live there but a struggle for millennial's with an unsustainable income.

Jan 3, 19 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: