Archinect
anchor

Initiative

I’ve been told that I need to take more initiative and responsibility on projects.. I am only 2 years out of school so I’m having trouble understanding how to do this in a professional office and without looking like I’m overstepping my bounds to senior members... advice??

Dec 16, 18 11:55 pm
youngarchie93

also what do I do in meetings? Sry if this sounds dumb but I honestly feel like an idiot in meetings with senior members twice my age. Do I ask questions and interrupt the conversations? Take notes on laptop?

Dec 17, 18 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Definitely interrupt your elders, that will win you points big time.

Dec 17, 18 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You use a laptop for notes? Kids these days, carry a good moleskin and use that for notes so that you always have them available to you. Much easier to flip through pages with dates.

Dec 17, 18 8:18 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You had half a year to take people's advise here and show you're dedicated instead of posting another thread...

Dec 17, 18 3:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what happened with the excellent advice we gave you in your previous thread?

Dec 17, 18 7:18 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

So I recently redlined a junior's drawing and he picked them up to the tee. However, he didn't realize that one of my comments required him to think about the sequence of installation. And so, when I re-checked the set, there were still a significant amount of work that needed to be done. what I am getting at is that it doesn't matter if what you drew is incorrect as long as a) you are dilligent and precise and b) you demonstrate that you think critically anout what you are doing and don't become a robot. 

Dec 17, 18 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Double stars. Going through the very same thing with a junior here.

Dec 17, 18 8:20 am  · 
 · 

First thing I can suggest is to take ownership of some part of the drawings and be the person that is always keeping it in order.  For example door schedules and or title blocks, if you can master a few aspects to the point where you become the expert on these things all the better. 

Also take time to verify your instructions if you do not know exactly how to do something a question early on can save hours of work down the road.  

Otherwise take time to think about how to communicate what your design intent is before jumping in to the drawings, come up with a strategy.  I always like to sketch out a cartoon of the drawing set before I start a project so i have a map where project information needs to go instead of just pilling it up in the model and on sheets.

Best of luck

Peter N

Dec 17, 18 8:45 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Door Schedules two years in? If you pull that off you'll be rewarded with every door schedule for every project ever.

Dec 21, 18 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I think the answer really depends on what your current responsibilities are.  If you are still mostly doing production, take ownership of part of a set.  Raise your hand and volunteer to take on an issue (maybe some product research needs to be done?) or take ownership of a drawing series.  If you are working in construction administration, offer to print/file/log submittals and RFIs and deliver them to the PA.  If you get to go on site, offer to take photos and type everyone's notes into a field report.  If you have the opportunity to sit in on meetings, yes, take notes.  I would start by asking questions to your boss after the meeting to make sure you understand what is being discussed and what was agreed to.  Eventually, you'll grow more confident in your understanding of the issues at hand, and will be able to speak up in meetings to ask your own questions.  

Dec 17, 18 11:59 am  · 
 · 
starling
Best intern/ junior I ever had was a champ at 3D prints. He was a champ at many things, but I’ll use this as an example. As a senior designer, I don’t need to spend my time fiddling with software etc to do these, I need someone to do them quickly as the design principal sometimes asks for a new one every other day.

The best thing you can be is dependable for these menial types of tasks at your stage. My intern on his first day said “I’ve done a bit of this at school, and I’ll figure out how to get it done”. He introduced himself and reached out to our in house 3D print manager and IT manager and took the initiative to learn the process of how we do these prints in our office on his own. I didn’t ask him to do this or hold his hand and show him every step (because I don’t know this myself), he simply went and figured it out. Within his first week of starting the job, he was our go-to guy for all things 3D printing for multiple projects under the same design principal. He became an expert at the machines all of his own doing. The only questions he ever asked me was to confirm a design before it was printed.

As senior staff, we WANT our juniors to overstep us. We want to know that we can depend on our staff and don’t have to check their work, look over their shoulder or hold their hand. We want to depend on them to get the job done as quickly and efficienty as possible.

Initiative means taking whatever task youre given and become the expert of it for your team.
Dec 20, 18 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Love the overstepping bit, very true.

Dec 21, 18 3:03 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm in more of like a project arch/ project lead role now - how do you encourage young employees to take this initiative? I've taught at some schools, both as a grad student and afterwards, and it seems that its a really rare trait to be detail-oriented and be able to follow through. In young employees, it feels like getting 1 in 5 is good, often much worse.

Dec 21, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Point out where they could have gone to find the information they waited for you to provide.

Dec 21, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: