Archinect
anchor

How should I start my portfolio

Iman123Iman

Hello everyone, I just recently joined this forum as a new member wishing to learn more information about the area of Architecture. So currently I am in my second year of community college in the city of LA, California. Hopefully I will be transferring sometime around this time next year to Architecture school in hope to get my degree. Living in Los Angeles I am grateful that there is many entry level Architecture colleges near me that I can apply to due to my low gpa :( . But after doing some research I can't seem to find the answer to how I should start my portfolio, I am confused and just lost. Should I just start to make random drawings in CAD of homes that are in my mind or examples of schools, parking lots, buildings and choose the best from there. Also the community college I am currently going doesn't have any form of Architecture classes or program so that road is closed for me.

Any help would be wonderful!

Thank you, 

Nov 19, 18 9:03 pm
Non Sequitur

You're applying to architecture programs in order to learn how to do architecture so don't just make anything up because you think it'll represent architecture.  It's expected that your don't know shit, so focus your portfolio of something you're hopefully already well versed in.

Do you draw, paint, build, sculpt?  Assemble good examples of creative graphic work that shows how you think, how you understand composition, how you handle scale, light, shadow, materials, etc, etc. Take some evening life drawing classes, carry a sketch book and draw interesting parts of the city at different times of day... just to mention a few. 

Also note that photography does not count unless you've won competition and/or are published and avoid just doing reproductions based on photographs.

Nov 19, 18 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Iman123Iman

Oh ok, I understand, I just noticed how a portfolio is recommended on almost every college application. I don't do any of that, draw, paint, build, or sculpt but if it will help me to grow my understand I can forsure take those classes. The only experience I really have is I have taken a year of CAD class and also my father is an Architect so I am always asking him questions to expand my knowledge.

Nov 20, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

What if I self-publish my photography?

Nov 20, 18 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

christ I hate portfolios that contain photography. 

there is no better indicator of a) “I hacked this together two days before the deadline because I’m not a creative person,” b) “photography is my art and I take it seriously because instagram don’t forget to like and follow lol,” or c) “I understaaaaand the city because I see it through my lens, bro”

Nov 19, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What is drawing(!) you towards architecture? What is it that makes you want to study that direction and also why didn't that yet ignite some kind of creative spark in any of the suggested creative fields mentioned here above? You want to become an architect so you took a CAD class? Was that what your father suggested? Is he happy at his job actually?

Nov 21, 18 2:47 am  · 
 · 
Iman123Iman

What is drawing me towards Architecture is that I want to build homes from demolition to a brand new home. The reason I took a CAD class is to even see if I was interested in the idea which I am heavily interested.

Nov 21, 18 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If your interest in architecture, even with an architect in the family, only made you take up a CAD course and nothing else...read any books about architecture perhaps, and no not drafting manuals.

Nov 22, 18 2:39 am  · 
 · 
Iman123Iman

Lots of confusion in the main post, sorry about that. I am trying to become a Residential Designer is what I mean as in building homes but I just feel like having an Architecture license/degree would help tremendously.

Nov 22, 18 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Excluding the recent ahem forest fires, how big is the market for turning demolished homes into new in Oregon and California?

Nov 22, 18 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

Portfolio is the most important thing for an Architecture to present his/her work.  Any where you go, school or job, the first question is " your portfolio".  How should I start my portfolio?Many ways to start portfolio upon to your institution request and it is vary from one to another..First step: keep going with your research, till you hook an idea.Second: grab your projects that you have done "try to pick the best".Third: organize your pages. consider how many pages for each project "normally portfolio comes like a booklet" make sure about the size they requested. Fourth: after you set up the pages and pictures around. You should write a little bit. Define each project and your idea, try to make it attractive. Mention your concept or design process. Fifth: if you reach to this step. You are ready to the final organize. The best software to organize all that is: Adopt indesign. #Tip: remember in portfolio we start our best project from the beginning.I thing that enough for now. Feel free if you have any farther question. All the best..              Yazan Akkad     

Nov 21, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: