Archinect
anchor

Out of the frying pan and into the fire

G4tor

Anyone experiences the "out of the frying pan and into the fire" syndrome at a new job? At what point do you just leave because you don't think it's a good fit? What are telltale signs that you and your company are not a good match? If any potential employers are reading this.... I'm.... asking for a friend.

Nov 15, 18 12:24 pm
LITS4FormZ

The larger the firm the more likely it is to be sink or swim.

If you’re not happy, it’s never been a better time to be a job seeker.

Nov 15, 18 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

If you had job multiple offers and too much time hasn't passed, maybe you should revisit one of the other offers you didn't take.  

There's a couple of firms in my town where people frequently quit after a week or two, one uses 20+ year-old computers and software, and other place has principals who treat staff like dirt.  They both pay comically low salaries as well.

Nov 15, 18 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

Maybe, but i also don't want to burn bridges...

Nov 15, 18 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Burning bridges is a critical component to your decision. You will find that this industry is ridiculously small and you'll see the same players over and over in your career. Do not trash talk your current employer and be sure to leave them in the best position possible when you leave. Your character matters and your reputation will proceed you into many meetings and offices in the future. That said, nobody can fault you for always taking care of yourself first. Trust your gut--if the current employer doesn't feel like the right fit--then look elsewhere. Most unfortunate would be to wake up one day and realize you wasted several years at the wrong firm. Good luck.

Nov 16, 18 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if they didn't want you to burn the bridge, they wouldn't have built it out of wood.

Nov 16, 18 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
chm@

I think not fitting in with the people you work with is the biggest indication. I recently switched from a medium sized firm to a very large one. As LITS4FormZ said it's sink or swim. There is no room for on the job learning even if you are a fresh grad like I am. The people as I mentioned above though is a reason I have had difficulty adapting. There is no collegiate attitude like in smaller firms and if you get into a bad team you will have a bad time. Everyone's always trying to cover their ass and throw the responsibility on the others. A lot of snitching and strong office politics. The best advice I can give if you are in a similar firm is to blend in and never draw attention.

Nov 15, 18 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

By the sound of things, you're still at the firm you've mentioned? How well are y ou swimming? (or sinking)

Nov 15, 18 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
chm@

Yes I am. I am doing alright but there are bad days too. What type of firm do you work for and where are you looking to go next?

Nov 16, 18 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

A clear telltale sign is when you decide to make a thread about it ;)

Nov 16, 18 6:38 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

time to jump to next gig . previous job I had... lots of people came in for 2-3 weeks and they never returned. Wasn’t a right fit for them either. Same ting happened to me at current place where first two months I was looking for a new gig as I felt I wasn’t the right match.  I’m still here and glad I staid  

Nov 16, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I've been with a small firm that grew into a mediaum sized firms and hired these "hotshoes" from a big office to shake things up - people getting pulled off projects, lots of meetings behind closed doors. Jr people beings put into key roles

Nov 16, 18 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Guess you're not one of those juniors with a key role then...

Nov 17, 18 2:27 am  · 
 · 
whistler

I manage a small office and find that throwing new staff into projects is the best way to learn, grow, gain independence and become a great asset.  Granted it might not be the best for everyone who needs hand holding but I search out those who thrive in that kind of situation and have found it very successful for our office and the individuals have found it to be a great opportunity.

Nov 17, 18 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: