Archinect
anchor

Townhouse windows

SEDT

For university I had to pick a site I was interested in building a town house in London, the location I chose was between two properties, linked below.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/pr...

The issue I'm having is that if I build a townhouse and then put windows on the side that faces the back of the houses the person living in the house would be able to see inside their home and vice versa, what's a good solution to fix this in terms of avoiding them seeing into each other's homes as I can't change my site.

Nov 1, 18 12:06 pm
JLC-1

are you studying architecture? that's exactly what you have to solve, with your own brain, and draw with your hands, and explain with prints and words - I'm not going to ask you to know how to build it yet.

Nov 1, 18 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

Thank you for your unconstructive comment, I was not asking for the answer in my hand but some inspiration or examples as some other users have provided, I have thought of solutions but wanted to get other opinions.

Nov 1, 18 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

"what's a good solution to fix this in terms of avoiding them seeing into each other's homes as I can't change my site"

I still don't see any of your solutions to give an opinion.You are just asking for solutions to dig yourself out of the hole you fell in, that's dishonest. Please provide a sketch and we can continue talking, there, constructive enough?

Nov 1, 18 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

Unfortunately, your help and sarcastic comments are no longer required, thank you and have a productive day.

Nov 1, 18 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Venetian Blinds.

Nov 1, 18 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

How about Martian Blinds instead? ;o]

Nov 1, 18 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Does your building code have anything to say about exposed faces and fire spread?

Nov 1, 18 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I almost could hear the woosh! of that flying over his head.

Nov 1, 18 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

In the brief nothing was specified about a building code

Nov 1, 18 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, to be a student again. So much freedom. No code restrictions? Fuck it, build right up to the neighbour's house and shape your windows as funnels. Make them peek into your space as you design it. Turn it into a voyeur's peek-a-boo house. A window at ankle-level here, another mid-chest but over the WC, another focused solely on the shower-head. So much fun to be had.

Nov 1, 18 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

At least give the kid credit for recognizing that there are neighbors and they aren't designing this thing in a vacuum. Recognizing there is a design problem to be solved here is a lot farther than many of my classmates would get. 

Step 1 is done. Now the fun part begins.

Helping you out with precedent research ... check out this design from Phillip Johnson, and this one from Mies van der Rohe. Not townhouses, but interesting approach to the problem you're faced with.

Nov 1, 18 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Another suggestion: draw (to scale of course) your unit's longitudinal section, and extend it to the facing elevation of the affected neighbor(s).  Include their correctly located window heights and placements in your section.  Also include any fences or trees in the yard(s) between.

This will help you think about creative solutions for maintaining (some) privacy. 

Nov 1, 18 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Depending on how far along you are with your design, you could also consider having the windows focus inward, onto an internal outdoor space. A couple of examples would include:

David Adjaye's House for Adam Lindemann

Tadao Ando's Azuma House

Le Corbusier's Maison Curutchet

Nov 3, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

stop doing the work for the student. basic research skills not involving a cry for help on the first forum google hits is important.

Nov 3, 18 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: