Archinect
anchor

Door Hardware help

LittleRed

Hi. I recently started working again after years of being out of the field. Previously, a hardware consultant worked with my former firm's specs writer and they handled hardware specs for our firm. Now it's all on me. Anybody know relatively specifically what an owner may mean by "passage with crash bar"? Would that be an unlocked lever on the pull side and a crash bar on the push side? No cylinders.

Similarly - what would "crash bar locked" indicate? Crash bar on push side, cylinder and thumb lever on the pull side?

Thanks for any help.

Oct 30, 18 9:02 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

I never do door hardware, I always, always, no matter how small, use a door hardware vendor. Always.

Oct 30, 18 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Good advice. Hardware is a whole world unto its own, and the chance for error (and omission!) is high. Apart from smaller residential projects where stakes are fairly low, leave it to the experts. But give them an early deadline, as Rusty! notes below.

Nov 1, 18 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Panic device on one side with passage function lever on the other... Not that complicated.  The other point is just as easy.  Perhaps you should refer to previous project specs first to get your feet wet before sourcing your work online.

Oct 30, 18 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

"crash bar locked" may refer to a dogging function on the crash bar, locking it open, so it can act as a push/pull or it could be a crash bar with a blank plate on the pull side. I can not imagine a scenario where there would be a crash bar on one side and a thumb turn or a cylinder lock on the other...

Oct 30, 18 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

thumb lever =/= thumb turn

Oct 31, 18 12:26 am  · 
 · 
arch76

truth. that i could see.

Oct 31, 18 1:02 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Crash bar passage is just an exit device with a passage function (ANSI F75 or F01) lever on the other side.  

Locked could mean a variety of things.  My assumption would be that you're looking at a outside locking lever with an exit device.  As others have pointed out, they could just want a dogging function.  You should note that you may not be able to have dogging if its a rated opening.  

And to reinforce what others have said, a manufacturer's rep will do your hardware spec for free. 

Oct 31, 18 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

And that free spec will be delivered on time 50% of the time all the time. And since it's free, asking for it to be correct is just rude.

Oct 31, 18 10:07 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Didn't say you weren't going to have to give them a bunch or info or have to check it thoroughly. I mostly use them to make sure I get all the right product codes. Functions and the like are fairly easy. And, all my projects require three manufacturers. So, it's easier to have them do that and me try to cross reference everything.

Oct 31, 18 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I fully agree with you that this service is still completely worth it. Just making sense of DHI formatting guidelines is pure hell.

Oct 31, 18 10:32 am  · 
 · 
LittleRed

Thanks to those who offered some help. For some reason, I couldn't view this thread for 24 hours or so. I received the specs from the previous work in the building this morning and will be matching it. For what it's worth (not really anything to those not on the job), but I don't think any of the crash bars in the building have a lever passage set on the opposite side - they are mostly/all thumb latch releases.

Nov 1, 18 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: