Archinect
anchor

Need User Feedback: Curved Dual Monitor Setup

cadalyst

I currently have dual 27" ViewSonic VA2746M at my office, and was looking at the Samsung 24" & 27" 'curved' series for my office at home.

Interested to hear feedback from anyone regarding CADD on a curved screen. I've searched a bit, and heard very little, but arguments for and against curved screens regarding drafting.

Does anyone have feedback they could share? I was hoping to catch a great deal at this years 2018 Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale, but don't want to be stuck with dual monitors that give me a headache or are hard to draw parallel without OSNAP turned on.

Thx

- McH

Oct 22, 18 10:18 am
Non Sequitur

Curved monitors, to me, seem to hit the gaming crowd more than the drafting/graphic design folks.  Just try this set-up with your existing dual flat monitors:  Set up autocad/revit with one drawing stretched over both screens and rotate the screens just lightly at the centre, keeping them tight together.  Draw lines... does that make sense?  I think I'd loose my mind quickly.

Oct 22, 18 10:23 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

Agreed. Our office purchased several curved monitors a year ago. Everyone doing the heavy lifting in revit/cad complained that it made drafting difficult. The monitors are now relegated to admin folks. Dual monitors reign supreme here. Bonus, revit 19 now allows for dual monitor setup.

Oct 22, 18 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"19 now allows for dual monitor setup."

Please tell me that you're not pulling my leg.  We're just about to convert all our revit seats to 19 and I'm just waiting for this.

Oct 22, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

We aren't updating until 2021, but we are all desperate for the dual monitor option for Revit. So maybe there's a reason not to wait...!

Oct 22, 18 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We’re finally switching to subscription, so I’ll get all the new goodies.

Oct 22, 18 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Dual monitors are the way to go.  I suggest you find the best priced 27"+ monitors on black friday and buy a pair.  Put them on an ergonomic adjustable dual monitor arm.  You can find some pretty nice ones on Ebay.

Three monitors will be the next thing.  The estimator at our flooring contractor has that setup. It's on a big, curved monitor beam for a wraparound effect.

Oct 22, 18 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Its already a thing. Standard in our office.

Oct 22, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I'd go nuts drawing straight lines and seeing curves as a result on my screen.

Oct 22, 18 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like it would be hard to pull dimensions from a curved monitor. Do they make curved scales?

Oct 22, 18 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: