Archinect
anchor

Is a year-long internship worth it?

yyy3

Hi everyone, 

I have an offer to intern at a corporate firm that I am interested in working in after graduation, but the period is for one year (starting January), which means that I have to defer my M.Arch graduation after one year. Internship hours are not counted as part of the required work hours towards licensing (which I want to do). Hours only start counting after I get my first full time job. Also, the location is at the firm's branch office, so from the interview it sounds like most of the work is more like local support (ie. communicating with the local clients for the main office, so probably no designing opportunities. It is much more preferable to work during the summer holidays, but that is too far down the road now so I don't think they are interested in hiring for that term yet. I can try to apply again later, but summer is a much more competitive term so I don't know if chances of getting hired are high. 

Would you say that from the perspective of looking for full time work, would this year long internship make my opportunities very much? 

Oct 19, 18 1:26 am
donutsfordough

What's so special about this place? You don't even make it sound so impressive to yourself and definitely haven't sold it to anyone else.

Oct 19, 18 3:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I think you already know what to do or not do.

Oct 19, 18 4:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Is it a paid gig?
Oct 19, 18 6:41 am  · 
 · 
yyy3

yes

Oct 19, 18 6:43 am  · 
 · 
archinet

maybe worth it if you have absolutely zero experience otherwise not really. One year is a little long, why not 6 months. Or less.

Oct 19, 18 7:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: